90 series prado handbrake.

ashy8, May 12, 5:57am
Trying to adjust the handbrake on the prado, ran out of adjustment on the handle itself so just spaced the adjustment nut out with a couple of bigger nuts and cranked it up. Still not effective at all, shoes are good and you cant turn the wheel by hand when its up in the air but it still roll's down a slope. Is there anywhere else to adjust them! Cant see anything, Cheers.

zooki007, May 12, 6:08am
You don't adjust the handbrake by winding up the cable on them!Unwind the cable and start again.
Remove the rear wheels and adjust the internal handbrake shoes, then adjust the cable till you can pull the handbrake on 4 clicks

ashy8, May 12, 6:22am
Thats what I thought, but I can't see how to adjust it. Hoping someone knows them, cheers.

mugenb20b, May 12, 6:34am
There will be a rubber bung on the face of the drum. Pull the bung out and shine a torch inside and look for a star wheel. Turn the star wheel until the drum locks up, then back it off a little bit until it's free.

unclejake, May 12, 8:00am
Are the Prado parking brakes activated at the wheel hubs!

All of the earlier model Landcruisers I have had have been a drum on the rear driveshaft, but I have never touched a Prado. The driveshaft drums used to get the shoes covered in mud and were useless unless cleaned or fitted with new shoes.

just sayin. no hatin

johnf_456, May 12, 8:18am
Correct, they are self adjusting but the adjusters often get lazy.

unclejake, May 12, 10:58am
^ Post of the month

zooki007, May 12, 10:58am
They aren't self adjusting in any way or form. They are a simple manual system.They are very easy to adjust etc.

So may people stuff it up because they don't know what they are doing. We end up having to fix the f-ups all the time. It costs more to fix a f-up than do the job in the first instance.
IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING - DON'T HAVE A GO - LEAVE IT TO THOSE THAT KNOW!

johnf_456, May 12, 11:04am
Well generally they are self adjusting on most cars but memory is a bit bland at this time of night on prado's. But even if they are self adjusting they normally have a manual over ride anyway, but of course every vehicle is different. I haven't done too many prado's. Has for the attiude good on the OP for asking how to do it, no one would learn nothing if they gave nothing a go.

zooki007, Feb 12, 4:05pm
Not having a go at you there JF ;)

Last bit was for havagoers that stuff things up