Handbrake warning light

ianalice1, May 31, 3:26am
Hi guys.
We have a, slight, problem with our '99 Oddy.
In the morning when we leave home the handbrake warning light stays on and stays on for about 1/2 an hour.
It is the Handbrake warning light, not some other light as when it goes off comes on when I plug handbrake up and goes off when I release.
Any ideas, please?
Ian

therafter1, May 31, 3:27am
Have you checked the brake fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir? . could also be the switch sticking.

therafter1, May 31, 3:43am
As well as normal brake wear of course!

ianalice1, May 31, 3:50am
Had a look and brake fluid is less than 5 mm down and had breaks checked at last wof, 2 month ago.
So don't think it's that.
Any thing else?

therafter1, May 31, 3:55am
The only other thing it can usually be is the hand brake switch itself or its connections . but most likely the switch, and they can be stashed in some mongrel places sometimes lol

thejazzpianoma, May 31, 3:56am
Can you make it go off by jiggling the handbrake up and down a few times, or tapping near the hand brake?
If so then it's most likely switch related.

therafter1, May 31, 3:58am
Disc pad thickness at Wof is not normally a factor unless they show excessive wear or are making noises . A brake efficiency test is the main factor in a Wof inspection, as well as hose condition, possible seal leaks and so on.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/brakes/service-brake-and-parking-brake

tamarillo, May 31, 6:26am
I'm struggling to see how low brake fluid would show handbrake light on but maybe that's weird honda logic. Anyway you say level is good so check sensor on the brake fluid bottle, might not be positioned right.
After that Jazz is onto it IMO. CHECK switches and pads. If pads are good then switch that turns light on and off. Probably down under lever somewhere.

intrade, May 31, 6:30am
oen the bonnet and on the brake cilinder where the brake fluid is unplug the harness off the wire comming from the bowl and see if the light is now off when handbrake is off?
and report back.
check there might be 2 wires bowl and cilinder unplug both 99 is definetly old simple basic stone age technology compaired to mid 2000 stuff.

a.woodrow, May 31, 6:32am
Because the low brake fluid switch is linked to the handbrake warning light. Google it.

intrade, May 31, 6:34am
re*11 you should not need google for that that is basic mechanical know how on older cars

a.woodrow, May 31, 6:37am
I agree

franc123, May 31, 7:13am
Some of you forget that certain opinionated posters in these forums have little idea about how vehicle systems work, and certainly don't have any repair trade experience. It shows through time and time again to the amusement (and sometimes alarm) of the posters that do.

tgray, May 31, 7:56am
Don't struggle with it. It is a known issue.
Just put some brake fluid in it anyway and re check.

intrade, May 31, 8:05am
no do what i ask you to do there is reasons i want this done i need the results from my request posted, to tell you what next.

jmma, May 31, 8:27am
Sorry, couldn't resist Lol (o:

2sheddies, May 31, 10:02am
Sadly, over the years, many of the guys who do know what they're talking about and are actually of some practical use to the board, have had enough and given up, then everyone misses out on their knowledge. Unfortunate, but the way it is.

ianalice1, May 31, 10:55am
Thanks, intrade .
I'll have a look in the morning and report back.

monzaman, May 31, 1:01pm
For the less mechanically advantaged/experienced people as brakes wear brakefluid displaces into callipers/cylinders from reservoir so certainly level does drop without leaks,something not mentioned that I have found a couple of times was the rubber boot in reservior cap had flopped down instead of being up to creat a cavity for float to rise into properly(caused handbrake light to stay on),I have also found brakefluid being sucked into vacuum booster because breather hole was blocked(for that invisible leak encounter/experience).

kazbanz, Jun 1, 1:29am
ianalice--your description does seem to point to a sticky park brake switch.
The only other possibility is a sticky fluid level float

ianalice1, Jun 1, 4:38am
Thanks for all the input.
Because of health reason, I'll have tp take to a professional.

intrade, Jun 1, 4:51am
the professional would need to explain to you and do what i told you to do. if he tells you something else then its a moron with no clue this is how you will know you talk to a moron or not .
Now to the reason i wanted you to disconnect the fluid bowl sensor and possibly the sensor on master cilinder some have 2 some only 1 .
Unplugging it makes the light go out if there was a problem with the sensor or its function. it could be sticking. or be electrically internal coroded or the plug it self has corrosion.
if the light is still on on the dash then the problem is most likely on the switch of the handbrake. and what the jazz told you would be how you could figure if the problem is there.
Now a professional will have a tool to mesure water in brake fluid and show you if it need to be changed.
brake fluid needs exchange every 24 month as standard correct servicing . condition can be mesured of how mutch water it contains.
In europe they drop the mesurment equipment in to the fluid and take a reading at wof time , if its containing to much water a failed item is ticked on the sheet for wof and they carry on, after 3 faild items the wof test is discontinued and you are getting a new apointment with full wof fee again and to bring your car in fully up to wof standard. It was more scary to take cars for a wof then going to a dentist

intrade, Jun 1, 5:04am
also i would like to TELL again this is only the case on old cars whom have stone-age technology compaired to what out there now.
Unplugging stuff is a real bad idea if you dont know what you should expect by doing so.

Some modern cars wont even start without relearning unplugged items in to the computerised system afterwards. 2005 is regarded as modern

ianalice1, Aug 13, 11:05am
Thanks In trade.
Yes with all the giz mos om modern cards makes us wana keep ours.
Our car is due a service, soon, so hopefully be sorted then.
Thanks again to all for the input.

My eldest soon is, hopefully, coming around today so I'll ask him to do whats been discussed here/