97 Vs Commodore handbrake

fekim, Aug 25, 7:31pm
How easy is it for a non-mechanical person such as I, to adjust the handbrake. Failed a warrent yesterday cos the checker person said it needed to be "improved"

berg, Aug 25, 8:13pm
Whip rear wheels off, remove rubber bung from rim mating face on rear brake disc, when hole (the one you removed the bung from) is at the bottom you will look into it and see a star wheel adjuster. Use screwdriver to adjust winding the wheel (been so long can't remember which way) to adjust handbrake shoes inside disc. Don't over tighten them as they will bind when hot locking up the rear end and possibly causing serious damage. Probably a job best left to somebody with some experiance as the potential for a monumental ballsup is quite high

whqqsh, Aug 25, 8:19pm
thought it would be a lot easier to adjust the cable where it 'Y's off to the rear wheels! There should be a bracket with a threaded rod, adjust up to suit (13mm spanner from memory)

berg, Aug 25, 8:28pm
If memory serves me correctly the handbrake travel can be adjusted up at the lever but that's only doing a half-arsed job. Needs to be adjusted at the shoes to be done properly

whqqsh, Aug 25, 8:34pm
properly! so why would the manufacturer put an adjustment device in if it wasnt 'proper'!

gmphil, Aug 25, 8:35pm
Two 13 mm spanners for the y join has lock nut

whqqsh, Aug 25, 8:45pm
DOH!.of course, lol

fekim, Aug 25, 8:45pm
Knowing my luck, I could stuff it up. I have some skills, but this is beyond me. Thanks for your input.
Poster 3, There isn't a "Y" near the rear axle, already checked cos most older cars I've owned have had this. Hence asking in here.

whqqsh, Aug 25, 8:54pm
My ute one was further up (like near the tailshaft end of the g/box)

gmphil, Aug 25, 8:59pm
Is under rear passenger feet my vs has one!

guest, Jul 5, 3:47am
My handbrake light won't come on when handbrake is up but it pop on when start it