Robman, Attitude or other panelbeaters, Nz tools.

Page 2 / 2
lookoutas, May 11, 6:57am
There's two different schools here.
A painter can't rub by hand and be economical. So that's why they use machines and grind all our carefully sanded filler out and leave hollows! "Every bloody time"
I previously mentioned "Feel" when sanding, and that's only achieved by hand. But it costs.

gunhand, May 11, 6:59am
Yes it hard to tell beaters not to finish with 36 grit and say its flat, the poor painter has to spend hours doing it properly. thats why doing your own panel and paint prep comes in handy.

cathair, May 11, 7:33am

gunhand, May 11, 7:42am
Cheers for that, Ive got a stayer version of that but having not used one of those I cant comment. Never found flat sanders like that much good foor cars but that one may be different. Find the round pad sanders better but still not up to manual blocking. Although once a proper surface has been achieved and primed if you know how to use the round ones properly there good as.

attitudedesignz, May 11, 7:43am
LMAO, when i was doin' my apprenticeship the panel beaters used to finish with 36 then cover the whole thing with 'bout half inch of brush on primer, then say "There ya go boy, lets see if ya still wanna be a painter when you've prepped that"
That was 25 years ago and i did it just to p1ss the beaters off lol.

grangies, May 11, 8:16am
Our Panelbeater cheese-grates any big spreads of filler, and then does a quick flat off with 80 on the Festool D.A.

Then blocks the filler from there onwards with 80 grit then 150 grit.

Then I feather any built up edges with 150 on the block ( sometimes I start with 80 grit )

After that I use 240 on the D.A sander then either 320 or 400 on the outer edge of the repair area.

Then I 2k prime.
______

To prepare for paint.

I block the primer ( where the bog is )with 150, then 240.

Then finish it off on the D.A with anything from 240 or 320 for solid colours,__ 400 or 500 for metallics.

Lastly I wet rub the entire repair and blend area with grey scotchbrite and "Scuff-Stuff" to ensure adhesion and a good blend onto a flattened surface.

gunhand, May 11, 8:21am
Lastly I wet rub the entire repair and blend area with grey scotchbrite and "Scuff-Stuff" to ensure adhesion and a good blend onto a flattened surface.

grangies (3 )8:16 pm, Tue 10 May #40

You should try just buffing the blended areas. Yes ive seen this done, in fact Ive seen whole panels buffed then sprayed. Proabably guys who did car yard work which only has to last as long as the car sits on a yard. Hopefully this practice is dead now.

marcos1, May 11, 8:30am
There's another weapon I haven't used for years.I figure if you have to use one of those ,then you ain't no Panel Beater.

grangies, May 11, 9:00am
I've never done that, but have seen it done too. ( Then they usually end up leaving or eventually get the sack for being too rough )

A quick cut then a good degrease LOL.

attitudedesignz, May 11, 9:10am
Guilty, was instructed by car yard owner so that's what i did lol.

gunhand, May 11, 9:15am
BANG! your dead along with that habit LOL. I guess some yoda showed you the way back from the darkside then.

attitudedesignz, Feb 7, 10:57am
That's it right there.