Robman, Attitude or other panelbeaters, Nz tools.

Page 1 / 2
gunhand, May 10, 6:46am
Have any of you used or use long board air sanders. Ive seen them a few times over the years and thought it may save alot of work with the old elbows. Mine are getting pretty sore doing manual sanding of filler and I reckon one of these thing would be ideal for taking the top off the filler etc on flat surfaces. Used plenty of orbital sanders but wondered about the long boards. Someone used to list them on TM but havent seen one for ages.

gunhand, May 10, 6:56am
Im doing a XE panelvan at the mo and theres much long panel work on it as well as sills lower doors, lower rear gaurds, all the useuall places. Saving time is less time doing it by hand so would work. I have no prob handling a buff but see what your saying.
Cheers for that.
And I have ear muffs LOL.I have a old Snap On air ratchet, man you can hear that thing 2 blocks away.

gunhand, May 10, 7:35am
The kids are to young the wife isnt keen so its me Im afraid.

marcos1, May 10, 7:40am
Yea i got one one but hardly ever use it , due to the fact it is noisey and it hasn't got a dust extraction set up for it.
But yea good for big spreads.lol

attitudedesignz, May 10, 7:54pm
Yep rob hit it on the head mate. I did have one of them but i'm shocking with my air tools, never oiled and full of bog dust so it eventually started to slow down and then one day just stopped, have no idea why LOL.

I did a couple of XDs a while ago and made my own board, won't save your elbows / arms but it is faster.

Get a piece of 10mm thick Perspex 300-500mm long and 150-200mm wide, cut a hole in 2 tennis balls, over fill with bog, place on perspex where your 2 hands will feel most comfy and wait 'til bog goes off.BINGO custom made long board perfect for XD-XE coons, not a curve ANYWHERE on them LOL.

Just one trick you pick up when you're sanding Micro-Balloon filler on super yachts.

thejazzpianoma, May 10, 9:46pm
I have read on other forums that these puppys are supposed to be the bees knees, remember though I have not tried one myself so only going on what I have heard.

Apparently because of the better action they don't want to take off on you (as others mentioned) and are easier on the arms. They are supposed to have dust extraction as well but obviously check that before buying. Very low air consumption too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hutchins-Hustler-Straight-Line-Inline-Air-Board-Sander_W0QQitemZ360094223224QQcmdZViewItem

attitudedesignz, May 10, 10:16pm
Once that Hutchins one gets here the price would be huge. Also 6.2 cfm @ 90 psi is quite a bit of air. To provide that kind of constant air will need a compressor that can do in excess of 15cfm FAD (free air delivery).

gunhand, May 11, 5:01am
They dont sound like there really worth it in the end. I only have a 12cfm at home so might not be enough air anyway. I have seen super wide boards like Attitude describes on American hotrod and Overhaulin and often thought theywould be the go.
I do use a electric sander with heavy grit paper to knock the top off so that will have to do. Wonder what a dry wall sander would be like LOL.
I have tennis elbow quite bad and some days it hurts abit till ya warm up and then again when doing nothing. The old voltarin works wonders.

cathair, May 11, 5:37am
The one we have at work sits on the shadow wall and doesn't come off it. I find it very difficult to handle, it always wants to flip over. So instead we use a rupes orbital sander does the trick for taking the top off the filler

lookoutas, May 11, 5:42am
Funny how all these fancy gizmos come and go, but at the end of the day - if you wanta do a good job there's nothing like a piece of 4x2 of the desired length, with some paper wrapped over it, and use the elbow grease.
We have long blocks for the dustless system, and I would hardly ever use them - prefer to use the 150mm block, and feel. Then again, I still also prefer to rub my own cars down wet with a hand block. Something to do with 'old dogs'

gunhand, May 11, 5:49am
Yep, if theres away to get flawless finish with a machine Id be keen but so far hand blocking and wet wipeing the panel is the only way ive found.

attitudedesignz, May 11, 5:49am
Same here mate.

marcos1, May 11, 5:58am
I haven't used one of those on a car for a least 20 years or so.
A dustless D/A is far quicker .

attitudedesignz, May 11, 5:58am
Is it just me or does wet sanding seem faster than dry!

I HATE DUST LOL

gunhand, May 11, 6:02am
I may have agreed with you once but the quality of primers and sandpapers these days I like dry sanding. I hate all the water and sludge now. Only time I wet anything is 3000 on the rupes/ festool when final sanding clear or 2k solid.

attitudedesignz, May 11, 6:06am
I'd love to get a Festool for final sanding or before 'flow-coating' but holy crap for the price i can live without one lol.

gunhand, May 11, 6:14am
Yea cheapest new is about $550 up to $1200. I used them when supplied but hard to justify one for home at the mo. I found a good orbital that does all and more than the rupes for 1/4 the price and so far its working just fine.

attitudedesignz, May 11, 6:26am
Do tell.

lookoutas, May 11, 6:35am
I'm glad I'm not the only SOC that prefers hand jobs.

gunhand, May 11, 6:36am
Its an AEG one, there on TM for $189.a mate did some research on them and the rupes and festools and found there pretty much identicale in how they work. They are a little heaver tho. They have two orbit sizes, soft start, variable speed, 440 watt and a rubber sleave thingy that protects the work and edges. You can put the interface pad on just the same as well. I was dubious but mate got one and i borrowed it and found once you sorted the speeds out it worked very well indeed. Ive stilll got it and have one one the way for myself. Even my paint rep opend his eyes abit when he seen all the specs.
Ill find the link shortly

cathair, May 11, 6:43am
sorry i should have gone into more detail. our bread and butter is bus/coach work all flat panels. we get about 3-4 cars a week through our shop (the D/A is used on those jobs)

gunhand, May 11, 6:49am
What tool is this, a duel action of course, but the rupes/festools ar as well.

kwdriver, May 11, 6:53am
Hello boys, im from the IRD lust going to pop round and check your books :-)

gunhand, May 11, 6:55am
Your welcome to LOL. You wouldnt be here long nothin to check.Ill put the jug on.
And how do drive a truck and work for IRD, hope your declearing all that income correctly LOL.

kwdriver, May 11, 6:56am
Top man lol