Noise from front right corner

morrisman1, May 7, 11:53pm
1991 nissan sentra, noise sounds like a scraping, consistent with wheel speed and is not constant around each wheel revolution. It only occurs when the wheels are turned to the left (even just the slightest) and also in some cases during acceleration. Audible from standstill to about 80 then road noise gets a bit too much to hear it after that. I've had everything to bits and theres no movement or slack in anycomponent of that corner so Im a little stumped. I cannot see any signs of parts rubbing and theres plenty of clearances between parts where there is meant to be.

The components which are possibly causing it is wheel bearing or CV but I never knew a CV to make that noise. I've taken it to my mechanic but he is not convinced on what it is yet. The sound doesn't usually start up until 10 mins of driving. The hub doesn't get hot.

Any suggestions! Next step is shouting it a wheel bearing but at about $110 Id rather be certain.

morrisman1, May 7, 11:59pm
Love one but money does not permit, plus I couldn't abuse it like I abuse this one, its tough as nails. Can you see a VZR doing this! http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=QVbRAmd36JA

therafter1, May 8, 12:26am
Brother in laws partners Honda Domani had a similar noise (not that I can hear your noise of course) and rang and asked me to source a pair of CV joints for it as he was quite convinced that they must be stuffed. He duly turned up with the vehicle and I put it thru the various on road tests to see if I could pick up a problem with the CV's, but no I couldn't detect a problem. But if you took it out on the road and wound it up, sure enough it would start emitting this wooooo ooooo oooo type noise from the front end. It turned out that it had a pair of el cheapo after market CV boots fitted to it that had gone all soft and rubbery and sticky and when you put it up on the two poster with someone in it and plonked it into top gear and wound it up they were ballooning out of shape and making this woooo oooo oooo noise. Swapped out sticky boots with some better quality after market boots and viola, no more wooooo ooooo oooo noise.

johnf_456, May 8, 12:29am
My thoughts would be the boots also I have seen this happen as per therafter. Took a few hours to work that one out.

tmenz, May 8, 12:54am
I had exactly this problem recently with a '93 Nissan Pulsar.
Appeared to be coming from LHS.
Jacked up, removed wheel and found that the (flimsy) brake backing plate - I suppose it's a dust shield - had been bentacross to the point where it was just scraping against the periphery of the inside of the brake disc. (The crusty rusty bit that's not swept by the brake pad).
Straightened the plate to where it should be - easy by hand - and thought I'd fixed it!
Road test quickly revealed that noise was still there but now on RHS!
Found exactly same problem on RHS - straightening this plate eliminated all noise.
Pondered how these plates could have been bent - they're not vulnerable to kerbing or anything, certainly not both together - only conclusion I could reach is that they got bent by careless 'blocking' when the car was raised on the testing station (AA) jack for the usual wheel checks - will check them again after the next warrant!

morrisman1, May 8, 12:58am
its not the dust protection plates, checked them (had one contact the disk on the way to dunedin one day and thought it was a dead bearing). The CV boots are about due to die so I could try them out first and see what happens after that.

I cant replicate the sound when up on jacks which is a bit annoying

morrisman1, Feb 3, 2:06pm
G'Day again. I took it apart to do the CV boot today incase that was making the noise (cheapest thing to replace so i chose to do it first) and found that the wheel bearing wasnt in as good condition that I initially thought. There was a bit of slack in it and didnt turn as silently as it should. It wasnt till I got the CV joint out that this became evident. Ive replaced the bearing and CV boot and once I put the gearbox oil in tomorrow I will give it a test and report back