How to check spark plug leads

shagged, May 5, 8:31pm
how do you check if the spark plug leads are faulty and need replacing (sparks plugs have just recently been replaced) but the car gives the odd shudder when driving and idling

ct9a, May 5, 8:36pm
with a multimetre set to Ohms 200k

rbrassey, May 6, 7:45am
Sometimes if you run the motor in the dark you can detect leakage as sparking

car27, May 6, 8:47am
Just replaced mine today same problems all good now yes check at night but just check to make sure they are all on properly

m16d, May 6, 9:55am
Yer, have a look under the bonnet when it's dark, or just grab each one in turn with your hand.

sgrants, May 6, 12:04pm
Roughly 5 K ohms per 1200mm, less is better! with engine running mist over leads with water from spray bottle (this will exaggerate a missing problem or enable you to see the spark tracking)

mk3zephyr, May 6, 9:17pm
Stand in a bucket of water, jam a large nail into the sparkplug end of the lead and get someone to wind the engine over, you will soon know if you have a faulty lead or not.

ct9a, May 6, 9:20pm
all you city folks there ya go!

happy friday

shagged, May 6, 9:22pm
its a 2004 toyota caldina. Leads are definitely on properly. It has the plug type things that pop on top of the spark plugs and then bolted to the engine and then a wired connection that clips into that

xacoon, May 7, 5:19am
that is without a doubt the best advice I have ever heard in all my years on these message boards.

ct9a, May 7, 5:22am
works best in cold mornings i heard too

therafter1, May 7, 6:58am
That sounds like coil packs. This is a bush method.

REPLACE THE SPARK PLUGS.

Then go to pick a part or a wrecker or whatever and purchase a coil pack, swap out # 1 coil pack with it. Repeat on 2 3 blah blah until intermittent misfire is absent . lol

richard198, Jan 23, 9:43am
5K ohms or 200K ohms! Any advances!