Engine conversion

Page 1 / 2
jay.da, Apr 29, 6:45am
What would be a good engine conversion, Into a 65 triumph 2000! Bodies in good shape, Just the engines on its way out. I am wanting to keep it auto and have a limited budget. I don't want any computers - something simple. Was considering a 13b or 4agze as they are small with minimal wiring.
What would you suggest! Any advice/opinions appreciated!

foxdonut, Apr 29, 6:59am
Quite different engines.

A 20 valve might be a better choice of 4AGE for keeping the price down. Maybe a 3SGE as an option too, there'll be heaps of them out of old celica's and what have you.

If you want to save coin your best bet is going to be to find the same engine, no certs and mounts etc you to worry about.

sik2deff, Apr 29, 7:07am
a 13b on a limited budget

jay.da, Apr 29, 7:16am
Not to limited. 2.5k for engine max but prefer less. Thing is I want something a bit different and a bit more pull then the old lump. I'm not looking for a quick fix good things take time. Still in the planning stages atm. Just after some different combinations that would squeeze under the hood. Thanks

foxdonut, Apr 29, 7:21am
If you want to save money a new motor is going to be expensive regardless what you go with. Most likely whatever you look at is going to need mounts and if you go more than 15% over power (which would probably be an easy ask) then the cert issues are going to pop up. Add brakes and what have you to stop the car and you're up for some hefty coin.

Might as well go for something really good like a 2JZ turbo or V8.

jay.da, Apr 29, 7:36am
Cheers foxdonut somethings just don't cross the mind.
Maybe I'll look into a rebuild or another one the same or the 2500!

joanie32, Apr 29, 7:50am
or similar. little v8 is best bet. forget 4 or 6s of lesser capacity.

smac, Apr 29, 7:52am
If you have a '65 in reasonable nick I'd go with recon the original, or repower with the 2.5. If you really really must go with something different, I'd 2nd the rover V8.

mrfxit, Apr 29, 10:34am
Mitsi dohc 3ltr v6 & toyota 5 sp gearbox

neville48, Apr 29, 10:46am
Damn right, aint no substitute for cubes.

richardmayes, Apr 29, 10:58am
Aston Martin V12! Ford F6 Typhoon! Dodge Viper engine.!

On a more serious note:

2500 TC engine!

2.5PI engine converted to SUs!

Rover V8! Has been done several times, so proven to work.

Rover 2600 engine and LT77 gearbox for the Rover SD1 were tested in modified Mk2 Triumph 2000s, you could build a replica of one of those test cars and earn style points with the Triumph crowd!

Toyota/Lexus V8! Has been done in Stags.

3 litre Nissan/Holden 6 cylinder has been done at least once.

What about the F20C engine out of a Honda S2000! 3x the power of the Triumph 2000 engine, would lighten the front end drastically and transform the handling, and available complete with loom & ECU from Strongs for "only" $9,000!

foxdonut, Apr 29, 11:23am
heh. 10 grand buys a lot of V8 :)

ginga4lyfe, Apr 29, 12:32pm
Rover V8, I was looking to replace mine in my 2500tc recently, its more economical to to rebuild the current engine or spend 800 bucks on an engine plus rover auto box and put that in

Oh and on that note, the TR250 the GT6 and the vitesse triumphs ( and maybe tr6! ) are all the same engine, just different specs and mounting positions, its not hard to put the mounts in correct places ( some of those engines are 150hp standard ) but yeah, a head rebuild on the 2000 mk1 will cost 90 ish bucks for the gasket kit, and if you need new valve seats or if the heads cracked between the valves, then just toss it, the valve seats alone are about 400 bucks on just the exhaust side ( the intakes barley wear at all and the valves are pretty hardy too ), rings and such and bearings, they depend on the person you get them from, I was quoted 150 bucks for my big ends and 80 bucks for my small ends , and i cant remember the rings quote, but it wasnt bad , so it may be worth rebuilding the engine, but if its cheaper to throw in the V8 rover and box and cert it, then id go that way

fiatracer, Apr 29, 10:19pm
Holden V6

mrfxit, Apr 29, 10:21pm
Oh come on now, whats wrong with the Mitis conversion,
light/ strong enough/ smooth/ cheap for engines/ economical

roadkill3, Apr 30, 12:27am
i got a rover v8 in mine and it goes well, got another ready for same conversion can't go wrong

esprit, Apr 30, 12:48am
Rover V8s are easy conversions, light and go really well. would be top of the tree.

Alternatively, a normally-aspirated Toyota 1JZ (basically a modern, jap 2500cc engine) would go ok, although it would need to be upgraded to fuel injected which might take a bit more work.

desertcolt07, Apr 30, 2:02am
i'll have a spare 2jz-ge (3l) in a month or so.

pfemstn, Apr 30, 5:22am
triumph diffs are crap ! soare the rear axles, with any more power than std, you will get the horrible twitch on gearshifts, fit a pi engine with carbs and headers and it will be fine!

muzz67, Apr 30, 5:28am
Keep the original engine, shave the head, twin carbs, extractors and exhaust and they go great.

richardmayes, Apr 30, 5:29am
The twitch comes from using the wrong grease in the halfshaft sliding splines, not anything the diff does.

Agreed the diffs aren't really strong enough for moar power, a bloke in Rotorua in the 1980s put a Rover V8 in his 2000 and kept breaking diffs.

richardmayes, Apr 30, 5:30am

jay.da, Apr 30, 5:37am
So if I decided to go down the 3.5 v8 road, What kind of issues would I run into! Would everything from a p6 (v8+tranny) fit just fine with some slight modds to the mounts and drive shaft.

paul271, Apr 30, 8:25am
Do it properly man! Where a 3500 will fit, so will a 4.9 from a later rangie! Put a 4 barrel manifold on it, 600 holley and you're laughing!

tshop, Apr 30, 8:27am
1uzfe V8 see my listing