Advice on Hydraulic Motor

bswit, Apr 30, 8:46am
I have a log splitter that has a very unreliable engine on it.Seems I can never get a full season of work out of it without it needing service and now our mechanic is at a loss as to why this thing is not running as it should.

I want to replace it, but don't know where to start.Will any old Briggs and Stratton do (of the correct hp rating) or do I need a particular motor to run the hydraulic pump!

Thanks in advance

dent, Apr 30, 8:48am
as long as it bolts up to the mounts and pump I cant see why not a B&S wil do the job. But a honda engine will be smoother and easyer on the ears than the B&S

bswit, Apr 30, 8:51am
lol I went for Briggs and Stratton cos it is the consumate Kiwi workhorse in terms of small engines.very reliable etc etc, and that is more what I want than low noise.I wear Cat 5 earmuffs anyway.

ralphdog1, Apr 30, 9:03am
Briggs and Shitbox vs Honda.now there is a no brainer if ever I saw one.

mk3zephyr, Apr 30, 9:05am
how many litres per minute is the pump!

bswit, Apr 30, 9:26am
Sorry Zephyr, don't know.It's one of those imported 20 or 22 ton American things.Bits started falling off it soon after we got it.

russ39, Apr 30, 9:44am
go to a diesel,heaps more torque and way cheaper,had a 18hp petrol on mine and swapped it for a 6 hp diesel,20.00 a week to run,bloody awesome

mk3zephyr, Apr 30, 10:04am
not long finished building one for a bloke, had a V-Twin Kohler running a 50 LPM pump, The ram was a stabilising ram off an old power board truck. The other ram he gave me i used to make a hoist where he could roll a ring of wood on it and pull the lever and it would lift the ring up onto the bench, certainly had some power. I used to have a Cat press that would take apart and refit Cat reusable fittings on Scrapers/dozers etc was a twin ram job and we just used a 5hp Honda with that. Couplings etc for the motor and pump you can get from somewhere like hyspecs and Saeco. A good bloke to ring down your way is Allan at Alpine Hydraulics in ChCh, I used to deal with them years ago and are pretty good guys to talk to, you can work out the displacement of the ram by measuring the diameter and the stroke etc, ask at a hydraulic shop down your way to see if they have a flowmeter you can plug into the discharge side of the pump to see how many LPM you have and work out what size engine would be optimum, good luck

intrade, Apr 30, 7:53pm
what hp! i would maybe look at a small diesel engine basically anything that turns will power a hydraulic pump. diggers are just a big hydraulic pump and they all run diesel as power plants,,,

dunwoody, Apr 30, 9:13pm
To answer your queation. If it is a comercialy made unit , the pump will bolt straight ontomost industrial engines without any modifications. The engine is your choice. A home made splitter could be a different matter. I have a 25ton MTDwith a 5 HP Tecumes engine starts secnd pull everytime and does all i want.

mrcat1, May 1, 6:49am
Any horizontal shaft engine will have the mounts, they are just a ISO fit, just get another petrol at the same horsepower, whether its a Robin, Briggs & Stratton, tecumseh, Kohler it won't make any difference to their proformance of the woodsplitter.
I wouldn't bother with a diesel unless you are doing heaps of hours with it, I bought a Brent Smith fully galvanised trailer one of Hirepool as part of their replacement programme, it's 9 years old and still runs like a clock, small engines stuff up alot of mechanics, they are very simple but have their own little tricks and i have met alot of mechanics that just can't get their head around them.

taipan4, May 1, 7:18am
would be interested in the cycle time of this unit as I have 10hp B&S with a 80mm shaft with a 60 l/min pump with a complete cycle time (down up down) of 7 secondsat 2500 pSi
and have done the math works out at 9 tonne, so don't quite see how 5hp gets 25 ton unless cycle time is very slow

mrcat1, Dec 31, 4:00pm
Cycle time really has nothing to do with hp, more to do with pump size and ram displacement, same as ram strength. Sure a bigger motor means a bigger pump, more flow and quicker cycle times but hydraulic pressure from pump doesn't change cycle times, just volume. Is it a 80mm shaft or 80mm bore size in ram!