Driving with park lights on! What the hell are

Page 2 / 6
electro2000, Aug 8, 12:41am
Yep I leave my sub lights on all the time most owners would be the same ignition turns them on and off.

My work ute lights are al;ways on because it's Grey and the amount of times Ive nearly been taken out whilst driving around the north island in poor visibility. The other reason If im entering a forest estate any where usually to gain access to telecommunications networks it is mandatory to have your headlights on so I just leave them on

And the amount of flashs you get on a sunny day from other car driversso what If Ive got my likes on that's ,my business

mk3zephyr, Aug 8, 12:41am
For gods sake have you seen what they charge for power these days!, No wonder more and more people are driving around with only park lights on to try and save money and take the stress off the national grid, sheesh come on guys

v8_mopar, Aug 8, 12:46am
If you need everyone to be like you then you should consider becoming a sheep.

gadgetman, Aug 8, 12:48am
The solution is energy-efficient LED daytime running lights.

http://www.hella.co.nz/!t=11&View=FullStory&newsID=128
Power consumption only 2 W compared to 10 W on parking lights or 90 Watt on low beam headlights.

They are not so dazzling as conventional halogen DLR's.

Because of the lower power consumption motorbikes, bicycles and other road users should use these as well.

therafter1, Aug 8, 12:55am
I'm not going to bad mouth you, but I am going to point out that you decrease the chances of being caught out by a 'surprise attack' by you seeing them and responding accordingly rather than being reliant on them seeing you.

I do not drive with my lights on during normal daylight hours unless conditions dictate that lights are required and I do not seem to encounter these 'surprise' attacks.

I do ride my motorcycle with the lights on for two reasons (1) I have no choice as the lights are hard wired, and (2) I have no choice as the law states that I must. Given the choice I (and prior to the motorcycle with the hard wired lights) do not ride a motorcycle with the lights on as I prefer not to place my personal safety in the hands of others and prefer to manage the situation myself. If I feel that the use of lights is required I find that pulsing the lights using the pass button has a better effect, along with managing the situation that I am presented with.

ema1, Aug 8, 12:59am
You are pulling pud as in making a quip.right! Actually it's illegal, surprise,surprise and it's surprising just how few folks know that fact.
Park lights have a particular purpose.as the name suggests for parking, pity cars aren't wired for the headlights to come on at first click of the lighting switch or ignition key via relay once engine has started would be better.
Post #58 has it "dead"right, better to be seen rather than relying on the other guy to see you at short notice or more importantly NOT AT ALL( I have said that very thing so many times now.) It's not a case of you seeing OK in poor light conditions or any conditions, it's whether you can be seen is the more important factor.
I'd far sooner have plenty of warning and the knowledge that there's a vehicle coming towards you from quite some distance.
That knowledge sharpens up the focus and prepares you for the safe passing of vehicles going in the opposite direction.
The number of times I have seen vehicles appear from no where particularly in fog or drizzle conditions with NO BLOODY LIGHTS ON absolutely staggers me.
I "flash" my lights at them and sometimes they respond but the ones that don't must either be half asleep or are in "la la" land.and shouldn't be driving at all.

v8_mopar, Aug 8, 1:06am
In ya saying that when the law was made most cars only had there drivers side park lights come on. Has time changed enough for us to say the law is daft now unless you weigh over 3.5 ton

ema1, Aug 8, 1:22am
Any time I go through the Lyttleton Tunnel I always have headlamps on "dip".
I do recall the "Park Lights On Sign" at the tunnel entrances years & years ago when I was a lad traveling through there with my folks, don't know if it's still signed posted as that being so still, can't remember as it's been 5 or 7 years since last time I myself was through there.

ema1, Aug 8, 1:26am
Could see you in a morgue or your car "written off" possibly any day soon ya muppet or are you just pretending to be a spy and don't particularly like being seen.
WW2 ended in 1945 and there aren't likely to be any air raids any time soon.
Another thing .as stating what you have, do you actually slow down in those conditions !

lookoutas, Aug 8, 1:34am
Slow down! Bugga that - it takes longer to get there.
But I drive an AWD.

therafter1, Aug 8, 1:36am
Just as a matter of interest and probably being pedantic at the same time, but they are no longer referred to as 'parking lights', they are forward facing position lamps and tail lights are rearward facing position lamps.

socram, Aug 8, 2:09am
A slightly different slant. Crossing over to West Auckland and back the other day, in grubby weather conditions, what I noticed was that three drivers were on cell phones, all three were holding up traffic in the right hand lane and guess what, none had any lights on at all.

Net conclusion: thick drivers are usually guilty of more than one error at a time.

elect70, Aug 8, 3:11am
drivers cant be relied upon to use common sense , so eventually all new cars will have auto lights .

therafter1, Aug 8, 3:41am
It is all a part of their idiot proofing plan.

But it won't work, the idiots will always be one step ahead.

ema1, Aug 8, 4:10am
Doesn't make you any safer, or anyone else that gets in your way any safer either!

gadgetman, Aug 8, 5:18am
It was there last time I went through about 3 months ago.
Illegal sign I reckon.

andrea_w, Aug 8, 5:24am
Too true, common sense seems much less common in more recent times. Unfortunately its not limited to people in cars.

ema1, Aug 8, 7:40am
It is illegal to have park lights on only in dark or poor light conditions and poor conditions includes hours of daylight that poor light conditions are present, daylight hours granted but I made no mention of daylight in my posts, I actually was referring to foggy or drizzle conditions but even in the daytime they are virtually impossible to see, whereas head lights can be so what's the argument about, as far as I'm concerned it's a good thing to have head lights or specially fitted daytime lamps on all the time. Got it!
No point in arguing whether park lights are legal or illegal during bright light of daytime as you can't in most cases see them at all, that's just plain dumb!

cjdnzl, Aug 8, 7:55am
My biggest beef is with those idiots that drive with their headlights on HIGHBEAM in daylight.DIPPED lights are adequate in daylight,FULL BEAM is just blinding even in daytime - and that goes for motorbikelists as well.

ema1, Aug 8, 7:59am
Besides poster 75ta said park lights can be seen in all conditions.
That's when I said the Pulling Pud thing. It's pure and utter B.S. if 75ta is serious about what he reckons.

ema1, Aug 8, 8:00am
Same here.They get a quick flash of my 100w drivers and they get the message pretty much.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 8, 8:00am
Id like to see some ticketing for park lights during the legal hours of darkness. No need for a big fine but $30 might make people think about it.
I am sure this is a much greater risk than someone doing 105km/h in a 100km/h zone.
I hate having to overtake tractors and the like at dusk for fear of coming across an idiot with only their park lights on.

superiornz, Aug 8, 8:09am
better than f***ers driving with highbeam behind ya.

wpmoore, Aug 8, 10:05am
I don't have anything against using your lights in the daytime, But I don't think that your normal headlights are the best solution. proper
daytime running lights which are low and are designed to highlight the car and not dazzle other drivers is better.
And that's my opinion on the matter.

ema1, Aug 8, 9:53pm
Seeing as most cars don't have "Day Light" lamps fitted to them the answer is pretty obvious don't you think, actually being seen is the object of the exercise and as I say the best thing that most cars have on them to achieve this is "factory" headlights no matter what form they take.
I like to know well ahead of time that there's vehicles coming towards me at times of poor lighting , fog or drizzle even all conditions is far better to be informed way ahead of time. Headlights on "dip" shouldn't dazzle you unless they are poorly set or muppets aren't aware of them being on high -"Day Light" lamps poorly set are able to dazzle too you realize.
I'd far sooner be "dazzled" in daytime and still know a vehicle is out there than at night as the dazzling effect at night is far greater.
Frankly lights on high haven't really been a major problem in the daytime " dazzling" wise.
It's only the odd one that has lights up on high during the day anyway, far far less than those in the majority that don't have lights on at all even in poor light conditions. Go figure.