Driving with park lights on! What the hell are

Page 6 / 6
murdoko, Dec 19, 7:10pm
It is almost required to run your daytime running lamps on during the "day" to aid in visibility. If you don't have DRLs, just turn your lights on or turn any forward light on. Forward light can be seen more easily than the light reflected by the car. The light reflected by the car radiates in all directions, forward light doesn't. Furthermore, the reflectiveness of a car makes the car mask it surroundings when the things the car drives by gets reflected on it. Forward lights act as a visual signature on any driving condition to all drivers with different eye color-absorbing conditions.

dieseleater, Dec 19, 7:25pm
I drive a Subaru.I drive with the headlights on all the time, night and day.I am not from Auckland.I am not a dork.My Subaru has a very useful design that turns the lights off when the ignition is switched off.I drive with the lights on to maximise my chances of being seen.I believe that if 'they' can see me there is less chance of being involved in surprise attacks.I will continue with the light on regime -- YOU can badmouth me as much as you like.

craigsmith, Dec 20, 1:23am
Good for you - just make sure the fogs are left off okay :)

tractor9, Dec 20, 5:05am
Craigsmith.as my cars are over 30yrs old, my comment probably would only be relevent to people like myself !

3wheelnut, Dec 20, 6:01am
Actually illegal to drive with parklights only! I believe that day running lights are a good idea, personal opinion having driven in countries where thet are required. Nighttime, use the proper lights. End of story!

craigsmith, Dec 20, 6:30am
That's why parking lights, as opposed to side-lights, should be disabled when ignition is on.

ema1, Dec 20, 10:36pm
Rather be a live "wanker/tosser" than possibly a dead one H P

fordcrzy, Dec 21, 9:15am
IT SHOULD BE A CAR COMPLIANCE ISSUE. If the handbrake is on then they are "park" lights. as soon as the car moves or handbrake is off then the HEADLIGHTS should turn on. MUPPETS who drive with their park lights on in poor light should be shot. What gets me is the Muppets don't even realise that the other cars coming towards them are hard to see andthink "Mmmmmm those cars are hard to see, maybe i should switch from park to headlights." Same goes for morons with NO headlights on in poor light/fog.

richms, Dec 21, 10:38am
you dont need headlights to see around the city at night, streetlights are already more than bright enough to be a problem

sw20, Dec 21, 11:44am
Headed into town earlier this evening over the hill from Governor's Bay. Several cars on that 10 minutes trip in wet, grey conditions with park lights on *sigh*, my Clio 172 has auto headlights and it was dark enough for them to turn on by themselves!

timmo1, Dec 21, 10:48pm
as a slight aside, does anyone else find that reflective signs are often too bright with high beams on (and getting pretty close to it with normal headlights!).It seems like headlight strength has caught up now and they could tone down the reflectiveness of the signs!

trogedon, Dec 21, 11:21pm
I've had 'driving' lights fitted to previous cars to drive with them on in low light conditions. They've usually been yellow to show up well. I should get some for current cars. I started off with them when I had a grey car - I've never had so many people pull out of intersections etc in front of me as in that car. Next car was red = almost the end of problem.

wpmoore, Dec 22, 12:25am
Don't agree with using normal headlights in daylight hours. Even worse
when it is raining.causes to many reflection on the road.hides people
and cyclists due to the brightness. Lights that only highlight the car
like on BMW and Audi's are fine for daylight use.

sw20, Dec 22, 1:23am
Are you on drugs!

timmo1, Dec 22, 1:47am
hmm I want some of these special lights that only illuminate certain things and emit light that can bend around objects. Can't say i've ever come across lights that make things darker though!

gsimpson, Dec 22, 2:43am
As pointed out earlier, it is actually illegal to drive with side lights only. When I was in England the police enforced it with a 150GBP fine when visibility better than 100m.

wpmoore, Dec 22, 7:09pm