Mercedes expert?

sr2, Apr 23, 3:25am
Anyone had experience with the Mercedes E320 104 twin cam motor leaking oil from the point where the head, block, upper and lower timing chain covers meet. I replaced the timing chain cover gaskets 6 months ago and the problem has re appeared. Apparently it is a known problem and the only long term solution is to replace the head gasket with the latest factory upgraded version. I??

johnf_456, Apr 23, 3:37am
Its a common fault I have done a few, its not to bad to do once you know what your doing. But then again I don't help apparently.

The gasket you used last time was this a genuine or an after market one!

jmma, Apr 23, 7:00am
johnf_456 wrote:
Its a common fault I have done a few, its not to bad to do once you know what your doing. But then again I don't help apparently.

The gasket you used last time was this a genuine or an after market one!

So nows your chance to help, are there any pointers you can suggest to make the job easier!

carmedic, Apr 23, 7:01am
as john would say.
+1

jezz43, Apr 23, 7:08am
ive done loads of them, they are relatively easy, i used to work in a mercedes workshop. theres no real easy way to do it, but it can be done in about 2 hours with ease. use a piece of wire to hold the chain to the side when you remove the camshafts. check the head over when its out etc. just common knowledge stuff

johnf_456, Apr 23, 7:09am
I have anawered the question I have not just said plus one which does help by confirming what another person has said.

It is common and I have asked if the op used genuine or after market parts!

So I cant see why you guys think its not. As for the job its not hard not that much different from a normal head gasket job.

carmedic, Apr 23, 7:46am
Yes right you are nismo.

sr2, Apr 23, 8:55am
Thanks for the advice guys; it seems a shame to pull the lid off a motor that's in such a good condition but it looks like I'll have to do it, the oil leak is not too bad but it's enough to get on my wick! The timing cover gasket I used was sourced from Startech Enterprises in Manakau, they are a good company to deal with and I have a lot of faith in the quality of their parts, they make owning a 90??

jezz43, Apr 23, 8:57am
startech are fantastic. they used to supply all the parts i needed when i worked on mercs. if they didnt have it, they got it for me from mercedes in germany. bloody good service from those guys.

sr2, Dec 4, 1:58pm
Big thanks to monzaman who gave me a call with some gasket advice. There are a lot of helpfull well informed people on this MB.