Boat building n stuff

Page 2 / 3
_peas, Mar 30, 7:28am
BS1088 is the ply you need.Screws are temporary if you are glass taping the joins as you glue and screw then remove the screws and then glass tape. no fastenings to corrode.Any join that you need to make should be a scarfed joint. grind a 6:1 bevel on the original piece and the opposite on the new to provide a more substantial gluing surface. Pays to cramp a straight batten each side while glue is going off to ensure you get a decent join and straight panel.Looked at some of the pics and to me it seems that you would be better off replacing rather than repairing most of the parts.

The other option is to get your glass hulled boat and then modify that with your compartments etc. fibreglass is easy to work with given time and thinking about how the direction of the fibres are woven.you could easily form them up with ply anyway.

easygoer, Mar 30, 8:03am
As above with the scarph joint for longitudinal members but 7:1 is the best option as recommended by Pelin boats, use Kahikatea for the framing timbers and marine bonded ply, use BS1088 ply below water line and a standard marine bonded ply elswhere (1/2 the price), as above use epoxy resin and filler powders to make glue and wood fillers, transom should be 12mm ply (BS1088) with 22mm thick timber for doublers around the edges and to stiffen the area where the outboard motor will be fitted, use silica bronze screws for fitting framing timbers and annular grooved silica bronze nails to attatch ply, remember that a good glue job has dribbles and you should achieve sound joints, as for the poster above with a $12,000.00 fibreglass job I glassed my new 28ft hull for $600.00, $200 for cloth and rollers etc and $400 for 20 litre resin pack, some of the figures stated are way off the mark, boats aren't cheap to build or repair but with wise buying I have most of the materials for my boat and have spent $27,000.00 including $15,000.00 for the power plant, good luck

unclejake, Mar 30, 9:42am
Good idea. I figure the advice you get will be pretty clear.

It is easy to get carried away and spend hundreds of hours and a heap of money on a $400 hull, but if you want to do it then it could be fun.

hairypup, Mar 31, 12:18am
Do a google seach on Pelin and Hartley hullsthen look at getting thier books from the library. There is nothing wrong with plywood boats if they are looked after properly. The simplest thing to do is build yourself a small 8-12 footer and get the skills needed. After you have build a little boat you may find it easiest and cheapest to just build a new hull and swap your goodies over. There are alot of commercial eel and flounder fisherman that just builds a new hull evey winter

bigracket, Mar 31, 12:34am
OP, Look I dont want to be rude or arrogant, but I have spent 15 years repairing wooden boats and please listen when I say you are not doing the right thing. Intrade has said it all. honestly look around there are way better projects. You will outgrow this boat before you get anywhere near finished. Its just alot of good money after bad. Sorry but its the truth. Forget emotional attachment!

johnf_456, Mar 31, 5:03am
Cheers for the spam

jezz43, Mar 31, 5:12am
dont pretend you wouldnt jump up and down if there was no motoring boards. why should boating be any different!

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:14am
i'm a joinery machinist/super yacht interior machinist/ boatie. my advice is don't waste your time and money on it

johnf_456, Mar 31, 5:15am
I just made a comment has he was spamming other threads to advertise another thread. If there was no motoring I'd just deal with it.

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:17am
OMG i just looked at the pics - all i see is a pile of firewood

jezz43, Mar 31, 5:17am
ok, well my next question is,

a car enthusiast goes and buys a sack of crap, its got a ceased engine and a rusty body and it will cost more to fix and have on road again than vehicles worth, yet at the end of it you have an accomplishment you built yourself. your own pride and joy, yet when its a boat or something similar (not a car or bike) everyone says avoid it at all costs. why!

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:19am
boats are a bottomless pit even on a good day

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:21am
cars become more valuable with age, boats never do

jezz43, Mar 31, 5:23am
and so are cars, ive seen plenty of vehicles sold here that have had loads spent on them and still sold for peanuts. why should a boat be any different! you wouldnt not service your car, you wouldnt ignore weird sounds, you wuoldnt ignore it whent he engine blows up, so how does maintenance on a boat not qualify it the same way!

johnf_456, Mar 31, 5:23am
Icemans boats also hold there value a heck of a lot more than cars, with most things on the water not depreciating nothing compared to cars.

unclejake, Mar 31, 5:27am
Jezz, it is your time and money so do what you want, but if this hull holds its value when it is finished it is still only worth $400. Ply Hartleys and Spencers ain't ever going to be collectors items so have fun.

(UJ is still not certain if this is a wind-up or not)

m16d, Mar 31, 5:27am
Yer 10 liters of diesel and a box of matches.
If you really want to build something, do it from new.
If you just want a boat go buy a tinny.

jezz43, Mar 31, 5:29am
i couldnt care about the worth of the boat, i have no plans to sell it. its jus a project and something to have a bit of fun with

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:30am
dude, how old are you! have you ever owned a boat before! have you got about $5k+ to spend on the hull! have you got a outboard or inboard engine for it! as a guesstimate, i would say you will be up to about $8k to get it up and running

haventrader, Mar 31, 5:32am
Spam! Well why are you even reading anything to do with boats then! I think it's very valid!

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:32am
that is a good buy, providing the hull ain't soft

jezz43, Mar 31, 5:32am
my age has nothing to do with it, and as mentioned above, its my first boat which i want as a project. w ply hull will not cost 5k, ive already priced it up with a boat company here and its alot less. as for engines, yes, i have 2 outboards in my shed, and the cables and steering.

icemans1, Mar 31, 5:37am
well dude, do what you like, me personally i wouldn't do it

johnf_456, Mar 31, 6:48am
Because your ruining another persons thread to advertise another.

bigracket, Mar 31, 6:54am
/\ You ruin threads all the time John so what's the difference. Would not be a problem if they gave us a boating category. Mountain out of a mole hill FFs