Boat building n stuff

Page 3 / 3
johnf_456, Mar 31, 6:55am
Was just one comment and no I don't ruin threads, spamming a thread is just rude but if you like to keep going on about be my guest. But I guess you have to make a racket as your name says. Better things to worry about than category's for threads.

bigracket, Mar 31, 7:06am
Obviously not!

haventrader, Mar 31, 7:44am
Well, you have hardly contributed to a question asked by someone genuinely seeking advice! Regardless, the reason for adding that link was to make more people with an interest in boats (which you are obviously not!) aware that we have asked for a separate category where a query like this would be taken in good faith, and hopefully not attract silly comments where right now your comments are leading this thread to. Just wondering whether you clicked on the link! Have a great evening.

xs1100, Mar 31, 8:26am
look up and try and buy some plans for a PELIN they ride better than a hartley with the gullwings and will be a scratch build sotherefore no problem far better than trying to rebuild a old ply boat as said earlier strip whats worth keeping and burn the rest

johnf_456, Mar 31, 8:40am
Simply i put i just made one comment taking the laugh saying thanks for the spam. Which it is, no different to advertising dodgy pillls spam is spam. I offer advice very regulary so perhaps do some reaearch rather than issue personal attacks for mentioning spam. I have clicked the link, even said on page one is some advice. Ie saying boats do not devalue like cars dom, so i dont help.research mate.

And fyi i do like boats otherwise i would not of bothered to reply. I even have canoes and numerous motor powered watercraft.

jezz43, Mar 31, 8:40am
thanks xs1100, ive already stripped the boat and removed all the rot, i pretty much have a skelelton of it left and its about 90% complete. i think its a decent start. if everyone threw away something cos it required too much work or was too much of a job, we would never have custom vehicles and hotrods. i dont see why boats cant be any different

easygoer, Mar 31, 8:52am
I understand where you are coming from jezz43, I have had a few ply boats over the years which I have rebuilt but I confess that none were quite as bad as your project, after owning an old 18 1/2 foot inboard I decided to build new, I built a 16ft Pelin Nomad about 18 years ago which I sold about 4 years ago and it is as good today as it was when I built it, I am currently building a Pelin Topaz with a custom top and layout and have a 260hp 5.0 litre MPI DTS Mercruiser and stern drive for it which is brand new and still in the shipping crate, (bought on Trade Me for $15k), when people ask me why I want a boat that large my answer is "I don't, I want to build it" after it's finished it will most likely be sold and I will start my next project, here are the progress photos http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/easygoer/PELIN%20TOPAZ%20CONSTRUCTION/ I agree with what you are saying re car rebuilds etc, they can consume a lot more money than a boat rebuild

jezz43, Mar 31, 9:36am
looks really good, il only keep mine around 16ft tho as i have a decent trailer (just needs new rollers) which im about to repaint before i start the boat

mike77, Mar 31, 10:07am
I'ld agree absolutely with easy goer above. I still remember the satisfaction of repairing a soft patch on a arrow sailing dinghy as a kid.
But imagine the satisfaction of building a completely new boat! even just a wooden clinker dinghy (Thats going on the bucket list)
At least with a new build you save yourself time getting rid of the rot (well all the rot you think it has), there are absolutely no surprises and it's all your work.
I agreed with your intent, until I saw those photos!

fordnut1, Apr 2, 12:34am
Very interesting thread

xs1100, Apr 2, 9:51am
hahaha dont get me wrong nothing wrong with doing a rebuild done it with a sea nymph (fibreglass) and would love to build a pelin from scratch just think doing a old hartley/pelin is a huge job because you are basically having to build from new to make sure done properly

for_an_angel, Apr 2, 10:09am
Sweet build man. I have a 17ft Pelin Nomad that I over the winter have to strip the cork/teak deck back and apply a new coat of clear coat. nothing like the build you have taken on lol

Oh and Jezz good luck with the rebuild I've seen some classic rebuilds in alot worse conduction when started.

beaker59, Apr 3, 2:08am
Good luck though personally if I was to do a restoration I would look for a more interesting proposition restoring one of those is like restoring a Datsun 120y while a Model A has same costs and work input for a more desirable end point if you catch my drift.
Mind you I have 2 boats already and am still contemplating a 3rd project for the winter
http://cruisenews.net/construction.html
Thinking of a sculling dory like this which I can use like my sons do with thier fishing Kayaks but more comfortable for me.

jezz43, Apr 3, 10:28pm
that looks pretty cool. very small tho.

what are the differences between a hartleys hull and a pelin hull! ive been reccomended to change the hull style from one to the other. ive been getting all the wood i need measured up and what not for the past week and i hould be all go next week. in the meantime ive been fixing the trailer. are there any kindd of rollers i need to use with a ply hull! i was contemplating self leveling rollers, but i was told they would mark it, so should i be using rubber ones! also what about self centreing ones for the centre!

beaker59, Apr 4, 3:41am
Seems you are determined I would advise that while you are getting organised for materials that you strip down the inside surfaces of the ply and stringers back to a good surface and repaint anything that will be staying as it much easier before the new stuff goes in. coat bare wood in thinned epoxy and then paint with enamel paints.

Not sure about differences between designers though seemed to recall Pelins were wider and had gullwing hulls personally I would advise against changing anything keep with the design.

Edit to add its small because I already have a big boat (28ft) which I use allot and this is just a toy. :)

autocars1, Apr 4, 3:56am
Get your boat builder to do it.save you money when you do and blow the job and have to get someone to fix your mess up.best way.there's no pushing a boat home.you sink!

bigracket, Apr 4, 4:10am
You aint going to change a Hartley in to a Pelin with what you have there im sorry. Pelin is the better design, IMHO. Good luck with your project. remember though PLY rots on the inside and you cant see it. I would take a few core samples before you get to far down the track, this means takin to it with a hole saw at random locations and lookin at the inside core of the sample, if its at all soft its all considered knackered.

jezz43, Apr 4, 7:25am
already done the drilling and checked for soft spots, suprisingly there werent any in the remaining skeleton of the boat thats left. hopefully i should have it built within the next month or 2. i will post some pics as i go along tho

paul756, Apr 17, 11:25pm
from someone who has done it to many times dont fix it
cheaper to rebuild of new plans if you want a project thease boats where built mostly by amuture boat buildersand at best not done to a good standard
keep in mind even a 8/10 k boat will allways need something doing to it you will allways have a project just keeping it going but at least you can youse it
take time to think it over even if you do it the time alone is heaps
and the cost will be on your family

xs1100, Apr 18, 1:09am
2nd that the pelin was a far superior boat to the hartley also one of the reasons sea nymph picked up the design and ran with it,you can see the gull wing effect in the 14ft6 and the 16ftr is a direct copy of a pelin just in glass also with the gull wing .which gives them both brilliant handling in the water

rob_man, Apr 18, 2:27am
It looks pretty sound in the pics, a period piece.

topper, Apr 21, 2:59am
For what it is worth, in my experience with old plywood boats, you cannot tell if the ply is rotten until the timber gets throughly soaked.On a number of occasions I have seen what appeared to be a sound plywood hull collapse after 3 days on the water. The outer plies are sound, however the middle ply(s) are rotten and literally dissolve when they get damp. This leaves leaves the inner and outer plies with nothing holding them together and not much for the fastenings to hold onto.
A suggestion:Cut out a piece of the hull ply (core sample) and toss it into a bucket of water for a couple of days. If after this time the plywood is still intact you are probably ok.If it delaminates and the middle plies have turned to mush,the plywood is entirely stuffed and probably the entire hull with it.
Good Luck!
Just mt 2 cents worth.

paulg, Mar 16, 8:40am
Hi This is now almost a year past the last posting, just wanted to know how you were getting on with the rebuild. I admire your drive, it sounds like a great project and there are lots of people that seem to want to point out how hard its going to be, but I know the feeling of really wanting to complete the project yourself, or at least having a sizeable input into it.
If you have any new photos would love to see them.