4WD Needed, ideas?

pcguitarist, Apr 16, 1:46am
Looking for a car/ute/4wd to get to the mountain and back each weekend. Each trip is 2 hours on the open road, but needs to be able to get up the mountain on snowy days without chains. Price limit will probably be around $3000 so not much.

r15, Apr 16, 2:43am
a non turbo legacy, 93-94 ish non turbo caldina 4wd, or a old surf or terrano

skyline_guy_r34, Apr 16, 2:49am
Very important words here. A normal car with a 4wd system will be less than adequate on snowy days.

4WD + snowy conditions = happy face
4WD + snowy conditions + road tyres/passenger tyres = sad face.

In my opinion you should be looking solely at 4x4 SUV vehicles. That way you can have tyres designed to keep you on the road with snowy conditions.

vtecintegra, Apr 16, 2:53am
But the SUV will suck for the rest of the trip.

I see what you're saying though, done my fair share of sliding down the mountain in a 4wd car with road tyres - terrifying.But then I've seen proper 4wds end up in the ditch too when its icy out.

vtecintegra, Apr 16, 2:56am
Tyres aside my Nissan Avenir handled the mountain well, it had a simple full time 4wd system that worked much better than the ones that only kick in when they detect slip (like Hondas etc).

You could get a turbo W10 for that kind of price too which is a decently powerful vehicle.

tuttyclan, Apr 16, 3:02am
1994 era Toyota Rav4,probably at least 200,000 km plus but they are as good as a car on the open road and you should be able to get up the mountains without chains.They can be a little hungry around town but not bad on the open road.

skyline_guy_r34, Apr 16, 3:09am
Rubbish. Drove my mates hilux surf 96 on the napier taupo road to pick up a bumper for a car, and it was no slouch. Plenty of power for getting to 100 and passing cars. Sat on the road fine. And he had 40/60 (road/offroad) tyres on it.

tuttyclan, Apr 16, 3:12am
Auction;

vtecintegra, Apr 16, 3:14am
Different standards.

Anyway I assume this is only Ruapehu!You're fine in any 2wd car most of the time, its not exactly difficult to get up there.

vtecintegra, Apr 16, 3:16am
Pretty sure the Rav4 has a kind of automatic part time 4wd system - if so its not ideal for really slippery stuff.Probably won't matter most of the time though

mrfxit, Apr 16, 4:05am
LOL umm well YEA!
1's a toy 4x4 & the other is a REAL 4x4 ;-)

Even my 88 Surf is reasonably comfy on a trip & keeps up with general traffic just FINE.
Even get to pass a few ppl being silly

intrade, Apr 16, 4:08am
toyota carib 4x4 is what i be getting.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 4:11am
+1 Thats the kind of kit. Also, whats wrong with grabbing a spare set of wheels and setting them up with snow tyres for the season!
A relli of mine has done that with great success and very little cost.

You have to remember that these sorts of vehicles often do big distance to get to the field so economy and comfort are important.

mrfxit, Apr 16, 4:14am
WTF . no one in the family complained about comfort on our last 4000km inter island trip

staprano, Apr 16, 7:23am
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=nTDNLUzjkpgmight cost a bit more, but damn it will be worth it!

neville48, Apr 16, 7:56am
only one car for you matey, a suzuki escudo vitara, either a 4 cylinder 1600cc petrol or the slightly more thirsty 2000cc V6 petrol model.awsum off road and on road.high and low ratio etc etc.

pcguitarist, Apr 19, 11:39pm
Thanks for all the posts and ideas, i will have a look in to the cars you have suggeseted

noswalg, Apr 19, 11:51pm
After going for a slide down the mountain road in the suby last season i'll be doing exactly that, luckily the dude in the surf in front of me must of seen me sliding and pulled over allowing me to drive out of it, another 100m or so down the road some muppet in a RAL ute with chains on the front passed me then lost it on a corner and straight into a commodore coming up the hill. Car looked like a write off

noswalg, Apr 20, 12:08am
a few years back i had a N/A 4wd Libero wagon that was suprisingly good up the mountain too, cheap to run as well being an 1800

thejazzpianoma, Apr 20, 12:15am
Good move, they really do seem to make a surprising difference. I suspect too that you may be able to get a cheap "almost new" set that's come off a fresh import if you look around should budget be a concern.

I really would like to see some policing down there especially when roads are just re-opened. It really does show that our Policing is revenue and "tick in the box" based when there is predictable and known carnage like this, yet absolutely no interest in doing a "blitz", where it will clearly do real and quantifiable good.

I have had idiots spinning there wheels as they pass me on ice while I have been doing the maximum speed allowable for the chains I have had on. I have also seen cars off on almost every corner after roads have been re-opened.

I would also like to see some advertising and awareness around this issue. I am tired of seeing hamburgers being exploded and "junk science" don't go 5 km/h over the limit propaganda when real issues like this need attention. The advertising needs to be nationwide as its the out of towners that seem to cause the majority of hassles.

pico42, Apr 20, 8:03am
I would wholeheartedly recommend getting a nice travelling vehicle and carrying chains - for the simple reason that there are some days when all vehicles need chains - but also because you have much better stopping ability when some muppet without them does something stupid behind/around/in front/into you.

There are some excellent chains available nowdays that can be fitted very quickly - I am talking less than a minute to fit a pair, then another 30 seconds to reset & tighten 100m up the road.

There are some roads down here where it is illegal to not carry (and fit where instructed) chains for your vehicle. You get fined for it.

By all means get a 4WD, but have a pair of chains handy for it too. We have chains in all our vehicle, including 4WD's (and some have full sets as well).

haventrader, Nov 21, 3:19pm
You're quite limited by allowing only $3,000. Yes, the Toyota's are fantastic (Hilux, Surf etc), but what will you get for $3k! Now, take your best shot as I will be shot down here. I bought a Jeep Cherokee a few years back. I've used it for the same reason you want, but it's also done the shopping run, towed the boat and general trip down to the beach. She's thirsty, but I've never got stuck, parts are plentiful (not that I've required any.yet) and for just under $3k, I have not complained. Worth considering.