Help. VL Commodore

chev1243, Apr 18, 9:49am
Hopped in the VL yesterday and it is idling between 1500-2000. Was running fine the day before. It is a 3ltr manual.I am a female with some basic knowledge of cars, this is my 3rd Vl in ten years so I have a rough idea of where to find things on them. If anyone has any ideas before I pay someone a fortune to fix it that would be great. Thanks.

jbob2, Apr 18, 10:42am
air leak!

321mat, Apr 18, 11:39pm
IS this when you started it!

If so,
It may just be the automatic choke.

If not, then it may be running too lean.Have you just started putting 91 in it!
It really needs 95 to run smoothly.

dvince, Apr 19, 12:55am
LOL fail.
Automatic choke on a multi-point EFI engine!
All commodores (VL onwards) are designed to run on 91, except supercharged and some HSV's.
Stick to the mindless maori-bashing threads.

@chev1243 could be a faulty sensor.

321mat, Apr 19, 1:07am
Um, thanks.That's what EFI engines have - auto chokes.
And, I cannot remember bashing anyone - unless that's what you call pointing out the truth to people.
But anyway.

Oh, and one of the reasons why VL Commodores had head gasket problems was that the Nissan engines were designed to run to high octane fuel, and running them on 91 sometimes caused problems due to excessive cyclinder head temperatures.

Also, the high idle revving could also be caused by dirty fuel and air filters upsetting the sensors.

dvince, Apr 19, 1:53am
Still no choke butterfly on the throttle body. The fuel-air mixture is controlled by the engine management computer. No choke.

The VL had problems with overheating due to design fault: the radiator was too low and allowed air bubbles, which aften caused damage to the head. Nothing to do with octane rating.

attitudedesignz, Apr 19, 2:15am
Exactly.

bubbles244, Apr 19, 6:49am
exactly what! that it's a 24 year old japanese nissan engine from a 30 year old design running a german ecu.

gimme a break, 91 is only for your briggs and straton powered lawnmowers. is responsible for more detonations then all of the US military's arsenal put together. (exaggeration of course)

they don't sell 91 in japan, and the Rb30 R30/31 skylines ran the same ecu.

and with a engine that is now so old, combined with the blow by from the worn piston rings i'm surprised if you'd even get a 80 octane reading.

and as for overheating,the deck height of the Rb30 dictated it only air locked the water jacket when the overflow bottle was empty. as the top of the fins sat dead level with the highest point in the cooling system.

franc123, Apr 19, 7:09am
Oh man this thread is hilarious!I think I might stand by and let 321mat make an even bigger fool of himself before posting the correct answers.Been great entertainment so far, a couple of others have suggested some humourous things too.

dvince, Apr 19, 9:15am
Oh dear.
There were no rb30 skylines made in Japan. They were made in Australia (4 door and wagon).
The rb30 (non turbo) has a compression ratio of 9:1. rb20 (non turbo) has 9.5:1

The issue about the VL design flaw re: radiator, is well known and documented.

Awesome car tho, almost bullet proof driveline. I had 2, always thrashed :P

sikvlt, Nov 18, 4:47pm
Crank angle sensor (CAS) could be on it's way out may also be the airflow meter