Small SUV advice please :)

shelleigh, Apr 18, 12:33am
I'm looking at replacing my '97 Corolla wagon with a small SUV in the near future. I really like the Ford Escapes however I would really appreciate advice from people who own/have owned one and mechanics as to the pros and cons of them.
It would be used mostly for around town but also some long trips including to ski fields and lakes so would be putting skiis, kayaks on top. While I'm not a speed hog, I do like acceleration especially when passing although reliability and economy come first.

vtecintegra, Apr 18, 12:35am
I don't think you want an SUV then.

You'll get better performance from a regular wagon.

franc123, Apr 18, 12:48am
Sounds like the perfect vehicle for you, theres no reason why you shouldn't buy one.BUT it isn't going to be a cheap urban run around.Have you considered a Carib 4x4, which is similar to what you have!If the car serves your current needs there isn't any reason to upsize if you don't have to.

shelleigh, Apr 18, 1:07am
Although I realise the wagon is far more economical than an SUV, I'm wanting to upgrade and really prefer sitting up higher which is I am seriously considering an SUV.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 18, 2:16am
SUV's carry huge compromises in running costs (not just fuel), and right accross the board. You will likely be talking into the thousands a year just to "sit up high" so think carefully.By right accross the board I mean in terms of value for money, safety etc etc.
What is your budget and roughly how many km's do you do in a week.

vtecintegra, Apr 18, 2:32am
They're both pretty gutless though (unless you opt for the Forrester turbo)

The Forester is a decent car but the driving position isn't much further off the road than a normal car.

vtecintegra, Apr 18, 2:55am
OP - take those numbers with a grain of salt

thejazzpianoma, Apr 18, 3:01am
Why! Because you don't like them!
$41.50 is based on the urban consumption figures for the 2002 Escape 3.0.

My other figure is somewhere about half way between the comined and urban figures which is reasonable for a car that is "mainly used around town"

Of course the original posters use will be different but they should not be kidding themselves about what a 3.0 Escape costs to run and you shouldn't be discrediting them unless you want to stump up with some alternative fuel usage figures which you are welcome to do.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 18, 3:13am
In fairness, the figures for the Ford were hard to get but here is a site I am trying to stick to for all references (to avoid being accused of picking and choosing).

They don't list the Escape but do list the Mazda Tribute which is mechanically the same vehicle out of the same factory just wearing a Mazda Party Dress.

http://www.cars-data.com/en/mazda-tribute-30-v6-4wd-touring-197hp-34347/specs.html

I don't think anyone will argue the 2.0 Common rail VW Diesel will use more than 7.5l/100km around town again those are the official figures as far as I am aware, but feel free to quote references if you think thats unfair.

Again in fairness, the 4 Cylinder Escape from memory will be quite a bit better on fuel for your use. But, you lose out on your criteria for something that will get out and pass.

At the end of the day, its a game of compromises. What you have to do is weigh up whats most important to you and what you are prepared to sacrifice in favour of the most important things.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 18, 3:19am
In fairness, I don't know how the other two compare off hand. All I can say is the 3.0 Tribute and VW are about on a par and what I would call quite adequite for passing given the circumstances.

Anyhow, enough interjection from me for the moment. I have made my point.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 18, 3:37am
I was going to edit the last comment but I am locked out. The likes of the CRV will be better on gas than the 3.0 Tribute. I would suggest you do the math on all of them comparing economy figures and 0-100 times. Most important for your use is to keep an eye on the urban economy figures and not just the combined as the combined will likely be a bit optomistic.

As a guide 0-100 times of under 12 seconds will likely give you just adequate but not blistering passing, given what you are coming from and the type of vehicle concerned. 10 seconds or less would be much better but will be hard to balance with economy unless its the likes of the VW Diesel.
Do your research and good luck!

shelleigh, Apr 18, 5:41am
Thank you all for your advice which I really appreciate :)
My Corolla is a very peppy 1.6 so I would definitely be looking at the 3.0 V6 Escape. My budget will be around $15000. At present I do about 50km in an average week - one of the advantages of living in a small town. Even though I know overall costs will be higher with as SUV I don't have a problem with that. As I'm planning on doing a lot more skiing in the future than in previous years, having a 4WD is preferable to a 2WD.
The VW looks like a zippy little hatch but I really am wanting an SUV :)

shelleigh, Apr 18, 5:48am
No offence to anyone as we all have different tastes but that Corolla at #17 just does not appeal to me at all. I prefer the look of the Forrester at #16 in the last link and love that colour :)
Call me old fashioned if you like but I prefer the boxy shapes to the "flattened" look of more recent vehicles.

franc123, Apr 18, 5:51am
It sounds like you have made your mind up already, which is fair enough, I'm sure you will like the Escape, there is plenty of choice for your budget.$15990 seems a common price for a lowish k one, you've got a desirable trade in, go and negotiate!

r15, Apr 18, 5:54am
rav4

shelleigh, Apr 18, 5:54am
Thanks Franc. I've had the Corolla about 12 years and it is an awesome car - very economical, reliable and peppy but time for a change.
I'd be very interested to hear people's opinions about the reliability of the Escape.

alimac1, Apr 18, 6:39am
Why has nobody yet suggested a Multipla!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 18, 7:31am
50KM a week is an entirely different story, likewise in a small town you will generally have better economy. Go for gold!

shelleigh, Nov 14, 2:49pm
I remember a thread a while ago about the ugliest car and that was definitely mentioned - several times ;)
I had to look at a link to a photo of one as I had never heard of them. And I could see why lol
Living in a small town is definitely a reason why I don't mind looking at a less economical vehicle than I have now. It's good to hear what others say about the Escape though.