Gearbox filler plug stuck

scousemouse, Apr 17, 5:20am
any idea how to get it out,have just bought a second hand trans and fitted it now i have discovered the fill plug is siezed.can i fill it from the top some how!

tmenz, Apr 17, 5:22am
What sort of drive does the plug have! An external square or hex drive or an internal square drive!
What have you tried so far to undo it!

scousemouse, Apr 17, 5:28am
square drive.have tried using the actual tool to do it but there is no way it will shift,i have done all the sensible things like soak it in crc.tried a bit of gentle heating and cooling.tried to jar it with a few good cracks.only problem is i have installed it now.probably should have loosened it off before hand.

unbeatabull, Apr 17, 5:30am
If its a RWD Transmission and not a Transaxle you should be able to fill up through where the gear stick goes in, failing that you can try the Speedo Drive as well.

If the bolt/filler hasn't snapped/stripped, you haven't put enough force into removing it yet! :)

scousemouse, Apr 17, 5:32am
haha to true mate.its a rwd ford courier.

scousemouse, Apr 17, 5:36am
how much fluid will it take!id usually just fill till it starts coming out.but if im doing it from the top might pay to know how much.cheers

scousemouse, Apr 17, 5:50am
can anyone tell me how much fluid it will need!

pdc1, Apr 17, 8:30am
If internal square, you could try a little weld at the base of the square (so you can still get your tool to insert). The plug will shrink slightly and hopefully free it.

zephyrheaven, Apr 17, 9:09am
toyota fwd boxes are amazingly good at it

intrade, Apr 17, 9:07pm
rwd ford courier what year myght help also and i guess its manual.

andrewph, Nov 11, 6:10am
If you got access to a mig welder weld a bar across the head of the filler plug. Let it cool for a minute and then try moving it. Leverage is the answer.