Anyone ID this engine?

Page 1 / 2
bill-robinson, Apr 3, 3:07am
Looks to me like an early Roots Group engineHillman minx, Humber 80 type. I would bet on it, pre 19601500ccBill

jrlaw, Apr 3, 5:44am
I agree with Bill

toyboy3, Apr 3, 5:56am
the gearbox remote has the reverse light switch so it maybe themore deluxe super minx

mrfxit, Apr 3, 6:26am
1200cc /1400cc Humber 10/ Hillman Minx 1954 /58 era for sure.
Possiblyup to about 1966 1500cc Humber 80
That type was also fitted to various Humber/Hillman & Singer variants
The later engines had a spin on filter particularly when they introduced the 1725cc Hunter engine but could be found in the earlier engines.
This is most likely the early 1200 cc

mrfxit, Apr 3, 6:32am
Hillman Hunter early to late 70's gearbox selector top,
That motor tho, is an early model before the Hunters etc.
ALL Those box's could be rotated 45 degree's to swap between column & floor change tops.

mrfxit, Apr 3, 6:46am

mrfxit, Apr 3, 7:55am
Yep Commer vans as well.
That block in various bore sizes was a pretty universal fitting back then.
Only the 1725 was a "sloper" & even then it was only the engine mounts that did it like that.
As I said above, the gearbox can be rotated 45 degree's on all the 1950 through to the late 70's Hunters, for column or floor change. (left & right hand drive/ side)
Some models of the early 1725cc Hunters & various other models also hadcast iron heads

michelle322, Apr 3, 9:05am
Triumph Herald gearbox. maybe early herald engine or a standard ten eng

skin1235, Apr 3, 9:32am
sorry so late to get back here, the humber theme rings my bells too, but, the cutout dizzy cap and the crank handle pulley bolt say it would be an early one, hunters didn't have that front pulley ( or did they!)
further it has a solex type carb, !, has the detachable float chamber like the bedfords had
that said I like the idea of the triumph, they certainly had the outboard starter, and the cutout dizzy, will check again next time I'm out the gulley, pop the cover, triumph had dual valve springs, humbers had singles, may even be able to find some better id tags for it, the remains of the original dash are in there somewhere, a photo of that may get a closer difinitive, pretty sure it is sitting on the original engine mounts, they may be able to be seen in the pics but will get a better focused shot of them, rear mount is a plate bolted around the rear of the box - on the tailshaft bolts - goes down to two large rubber sandwich left and right about 250mm apart on 45 degree angles onto crossmemeber
ring any bells!

michelle322, Apr 3, 9:40am
Herald distr was on other side of mtr to your pics,so going with the Hillman it would be a late 50,s engine with a pre 63 gearbox.been a long time since i have ownedeither.

mrfxit, Apr 3, 9:46am
Good grief Charley Brown . ;-)
i used to rebuild these engines over 30 years ago.
The slotted front pully nut is a crank handle slot (late versions had cast alloy/ early had cast iron)
That places the motor around the early/mid 50's.
I think it was earlier then the 50's when they had a cast iron crank nut & that would have been on the very early side valve

skin1235, Apr 3, 9:46am
also, did the humber have the tubes for the pushrods ( plugs side of head), thought the cam was under the exhaust side and the rods came up internal to the head!

mrfxit, Apr 3, 9:51am
Stephen,
Heres a deal for you.
IF I am correct, then you have to post a chit to me for a 4 pack of bourbon
Same deal both ways . OK!

& I have copys of your photos ;-)

skin1235, Apr 3, 9:54am
me too, the building and repairs of them, but also did a lot of triumph, landrover, fergy etc too and the memory if getting as old as I am now lol
early to mid 50's, early minx first of the humber 80 style.

will be looking for points cap button and cap minimum, engine turns by hand and has compression on all four, starter is rust frozen, carb will go again thought main shaft is currently frozen, has been in the weather for the last 6 years. electrics are basically shot but then they weren't that much to begin with, regulator looks good inside, genny tries to motor if I clip a lead to both poles so the brushes are still there and the comm is still intact

skin1235, Apr 3, 10:00am
you mean woodies right
no way am I posting chits fora 4 pack of real bourbons, sacriledge, I'm not allowed to drink the real stuff myself now

I do think you're on the mark with it though, I'd go more mid to late 50's but humber, , minx not super minx ( 1600 not 1800cc) era or last of the 80 model, last of the morry minor bubble shape

mrfxit, Apr 3, 10:01am
Yep me too but my memorys still intact :LOL.

Thats a Hunter gearbox for sure & from memory,.because it hasn't got the clutch fork cutout on the bell housing on the right hand side that the very early 50's bell housing had.

Bit limited as far a google goes because we are on dailup for a while. .
BUT what I have said so far is totally from memory.

skin1235, Apr 3, 10:08am
was kinda hoping the engine and box would be from a single donor, but if notjust adds to the time to get it running by an hour or two, that lever is frozen, hope it is only in the top housing but don't fancy my chances of getting it off and still having studs left to bolt it down again later, will be getting the 4 ltire dieselthrough a spray gun treatment later this week

mrfxit, Apr 3, 10:13am
Yes . in this particular case. you ARE allowed to give me a woody.
Yea just about on the [no booze bit] here as well, but NOT YET . LOL ;-)

Late Humber 10 / Hillman Minx 1950 to 1954
Early ^^.80^^. ^^ ^^ .1954 to 1956
Yep rounded body & huge lift up boot lid with a sepperated spare wheel compartment in the base of the boot

I had several of those models for various reasons & several later gazelle's /Minx's/ super minx & a couple of Hunters . Oh lordy . & an IMP

kevymtnz, Apr 3, 10:18am
looks like a 54-58 1390cc i guess from a 80 or a husky
was there any other numbers on the block apart from photos
i cant seing it earlier than 54 as they were flat heads before that and there were also
1494cc / 1592cc the cast iron head 1725 i think was only produced in 1965-66 as the 1st hunter had the alloy head in 67
been a while since i had them now

mrfxit, Apr 3, 10:20am
Doner agewon't matter as far as these go, most bit's will swap around, should even be able to swap an alloy Hunter head on to that block, thats how versatile they were.
Oh & those alloy diecast crank nuts are a bugger for wearingout & getting sloppy/ stripping & letting the pully keyway flog out (knocka knocka knocka almost like a big end bearing sound.).
Even had a 54 side valve Hawk at 1 stage (beasty bugger that.)

jmma, Apr 3, 10:27am

mrfxit, Apr 3, 10:28am
No difference in the appearence of the long block & fittings but often used different carbs / air cleaner & exhaust setups on various models between all models of rootes group for that era.

kevymtnz, Apr 3, 10:32am
this was one similer i had and so reliable 1600cc or 1594

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hillman_Minx_Series_V.jpg

mrfxit, Apr 3, 10:33am
Hillman 1600cc motor and box didn't have a crank handle pully nut, it simply had a flat steel nut.
Oh & the 1600cc from memory, was an alternative in the basic Hunter shape

mrfxit, Apr 3, 10:37am
Nope, thats a series v ( 5 ) Super Minx ( around 1965 ish)