'A' Frame Question

woody1946, Apr 14, 4:56am
Ok, so I may be a bit dumb, but do you have the steering lock off when towing, and if so, do you have to leave the key turned on!

mrfxit, Apr 14, 5:16am
Depends on the A frame
If a std A frame then YES, steering unlocked
Rigid towing dolly would be unlocked
Towing Dolly with a turn table would be steering locked.

(Could be wrong but appears to be right)

woody1946, Apr 14, 5:25am
I was sure you would have to unlock the steering ,but was concerned about leaving the key turned on for a long period

morrisman1, Apr 14, 5:35am
if the wheels are touching the road = steering unlocked!

morrisman1, Apr 14, 5:36am
just take the negative lead of the battery if you are concerned about power.

mrfxit, Apr 14, 5:45am
For woody1946

A std conventional "A" frame, is 1 that bolts to the front of a car & ALL FOUR wheels are on the ground . OK!

They are very different to what some ppl call an A frame these days which in fact is a towing dolly.
Can you point us at the type you want to use! (photo/ web link etc)

lookoutas, Apr 14, 5:48am
The steering shouldn't be locked with the key on Accessory.
If the engine goes, and the vehicle has power steering - good idea to leave it running. Have A framed autos with the engine running, and good at night, so the park lights can be left on.
I often towed a ute on metal roads, so it was good to leave the AC fans going full blast on Recirculate, which kept the dust out.

petermcg, Apr 14, 6:11am
When you are towing your vehical with a conventional A frame. You must have your steering unlocked so the wheels will steer, but you do not have to have the ignition on, it would just be on accsesorie.

barbuzz, Apr 14, 6:40am
Hmmm, when I use the A Frame, I leave the steering locked. Always have. I was told to always leave it locked. So towed car works like a trailer of sorts. Hasn't damaged any of my cars. I would think leaving the steering unlocked would cause it to sway! My 3c any way.

lookoutas, Apr 14, 6:44am
Far canal!
You need a talking to.

petermcg, Apr 14, 8:27am
There are different sorts of A frames, the one we are refering to is an A shaped drawbar connected solid to the front of the car getting towed and on to the ball of the tow vehicle, you may have what is called a dolly.

big.b-lil.c, Apr 14, 8:03pm
thats how we towed our old home built offroader years ago, but its steering didnt self center. the first time it went around a corner it was on the other side of the road trying to overtake the tow car. we tired the steering wheel to the rollcage after that

smac, Apr 14, 8:40pm
I think you're either misunderstanding the situation being described, or. well there is no other option. There is NO way a car being towed with a rigid A frame and the steering locked would be manageable without shredding the tyres at the very least.

mrfxit, Apr 14, 9:25pm
Like I said above, some ppl need edumacating

olsod2, Apr 14, 10:54pm
correct me if im wrong when my escudo steering is locked wheels point a wee bit to the left if towed in locked possi tyres would scuff.i have towed this car many 1000s of ks behind my bus always with key on acc.also i make sure i lock the car with my spare key

demons, Oct 31, 9:48am
yeah i shredded front son my hq when we towed it with steering locked. was a solid a frame .i see there s ones with telescopic arms now too where one side goes into its self when turning corners.