White smoke, when changing DOWN to 2nd gear

Page 1 / 2
skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 4:34am
Hi, I have a 1990 GT starlet, when I change down to 2nd gear it blows white smoke from the exhaust. Doesn't happen when going up gears or going down in any other gear apart from 2nd. Any idea what could be causing this!

Edited to say : Also the smoke smells like fuel.

tigra, Apr 12, 4:46am
Sounds like head gasket to me.

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 4:49am
I've only just bought the car, was really in a state when I got it. Had all the fluids flushed out and new fluids put back in (inc brake fluid).

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 4:54am
There are two oil leaks, 1 from a seal (somewhere), and one from the cam cover!
Trying to remember what I have been told by my father about where the oil leaks were. but he didn't fix them as he said they weren't very big.

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 4:55am
Nana'd. doubt it. Last owner was a 17y/o male

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 5:04am
So how hard/costly is it to replace turbo seals!

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 5:07am
That's to test if valve guide seals of turbo seals are on their way out, as they smoke more under vacuum (ie idling or coasting down a hill). Oil burning from the rings would be generally under load or just smoking at all times.

I too think it's smoke from the turbo seals.

m16d, Apr 12, 5:37am
White smoke when changing down to 2nd.Hmmmtyres.

pollymay, Apr 12, 5:42am
It'll be valve stem seals, toyotas of that era are known for it

4efte right!

mrfxit, Apr 12, 5:46am
Don't know what it is that YOU have been smoking but .NO, oil smoke is not that color.

White/ light grey is water vapor
Black/grey is fuel
Anything with a hint of blue is oil
Brake fluid can be whitish but that problem is a very rare situation these days

Simply .
Driving along & Accelerating will be rings or turbo seals
Slowing down on a steep hill will be valve guides

Theres more . later

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 5:51am
mrfxit as an owner of many turbo vehicles (and Mitsubishis at that.) I can tell you that a white/grey smoke which smells like oil burning is smoke from the turbo exhaust seals. It's not getting combusted like it is in the fuel chamber, which is generally blue smoke.

mrfxit, Apr 12, 6:04am
Oh ok, so really, that color in that particular situation would probably be a mix ofexhaust gas's/ fuel & oil!

mrfxit, Apr 12, 6:11am
I will add a 'proviso"

The above is a guide line only, works in most cases but not all.
The amount & type of damage can effect color to varying degree's.

mrfxit, Apr 12, 6:42am
LOL. .BOO ;-)

sr2, Apr 12, 7:34am
.+1 Valve guides when given a little accelerator after being on a trailing throttle and rings when under sustained load.

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 9:51am
Sorry guys, went offline.

Yes 4efte :)

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 9:51am
It is 5sp manual

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 12, 9:53am
We don't have too many hills down here in Invercargill, but I did try what another poster suggested and let it idle then rev up to 4000rpm and no smoke.

Another thing I might add is that the car has like a constant fuel/burning oil smell.
And my fuel economy SUCKS. 1 tank gas = 170kms.

bdogg1, Apr 12, 11:05am
CO2 sensor!

jsbike, Apr 12, 11:55am
white smoke is oil being vaporised on the inside of the the hot exhaust rather than it going through the motor and burning with fuel. it will be your turbo seal leaking on the exhaust wheel side OR you motor having a faulty pvc vlave from the brake booster, letting the engine suck in brake fluid. Id bet money it only does it after its heated up, ie 1st min or so of driving it wont do it.

infamy1, Apr 12, 11:59am
When this happens on a 2stroke bike- they usually say its a gasket. Probably no help at all- but as far as I am aware- White smoke is water vapor

skylinegtr_r34, Apr 14, 2:24am
Yeah your right about that, only when hot. Just found out radiator leaking aswell. Hmm. the problems just keep coming

carkitter, Apr 14, 3:56am
This car needs a compression test and I would also be checking for play in the turbo bearings as mentioned above.

carkitter, Apr 14, 4:02am
A what!!!
The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve doesn't vent to the brake booster. Both are one-way valves but one vents pressure from the oil system to the intake manifold and the other provides vacuum from the intake manifold to the brake booster. Two different functions, not related in any way, shape or form.

jsbike, Apr 14, 9:27am
blah blah. either way, if the one way valve on the brake booster is toast, fluid into the inlet manifold will also give white smoke.