CARJAM website use before buying a car!

hapukanz, Apr 12, 10:52pm
HIYA thought some of you might find this as useful as we did.

CARJAM is a website where you can get 3 free reports a month on a car. Very good if you are thinking of buying one.Lots of useful info, WOF history, year registered, Number of KM driven ( based upon warrant mileage) et.

We are looking at getting a Toyota Estima. We looked in our local car yard and there is one in there we liked to the look of.
HOWEVER we checked it on CARJAM and looked at the Kilometer used history.
In one year in particular it had been drive over 102,000 KM!
Looking down at the WOF history, it shows it also had a COF in that year too. SO obviously it had been used as a Taxi or as a rental! as COF is only required for all passenger service vehicles - taxis, shuttles and buses
and rental vehicles.
None of this came up during the conversation we had with the dealer. We are now using this for every vehicle we are looking at buying.
You get 3 free per month. I have got all our family signed up for the free ones so that gives us actually 12 per month.

Hope you all find this as useful as we did. Might save some of you buying a lemon! Not to say that an AA report is not a good next step. But for making choices BEFORE you get an inspection, it is a good website

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 10:54pm
mate I think just about everyone here knows about Carjam, it has been around for a couple years now.

hapukanz, Apr 12, 10:57pm
OOPSsorry it's new to me LOL

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 11:00pm
but yeah it definitely is worthwhile using, though you need to pay for a report to see if money is owing or imported as a damaged car etc.

As Previas/Estimas are popular rental or taxi vehicles I probably wouldn't think much of it - they always get serviced etc and generally looked after. As long as the condition of the car reflects the kms it has travelled, and the price is fair, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

crzyhrse, Apr 12, 11:03pm
So! Were the kms correct! If not, it may simply be a typo made by the inspector putting the odometer reading into the system.

toyboy3, Apr 12, 11:04pm
hapukanz wrote:
In one year in particular it had been drive over 102,000 KM!
most likely an odermeter error entered at WOF time

morrisman1, Apr 12, 11:04pm
I dont see the problem with a vehicle being driven 102000 in a year, as long as the appropriate maintenance is still completed it will be better than one sitting in a garage for 90% of its life.

You are ripping off the system by having 4 accounts with carjam, it costs them every time you do a report (thanks for nothing NZTA) which is why they have a limit on free reports. If everyone did what you are doing then they would just stop and nobody would have anything for free.

barbuzz, Apr 13, 2:43am
Yep, carjam let's you have 3 reports per week. On the other hand:

http://www.motorweb.co.nz/

bren16, Apr 13, 3:40am
Just paid for a report.1 piece I don't understand in the W O F section.it had a W O F on 26th April 2010, then the next on11th April 2011, does this mean it was without a WOF for a while.sorry, I know this sounds dumb but I can't work it out.TIA.Cheers.-
.Bren

bitsy_boffin, Apr 13, 3:50am
Depends on the car, new vehicles only need a WOF every 12 months, older vehicles need them every 6.Either way, it's got a WOF now, so what's the problem!

bren16, Apr 13, 4:13am
bitsy.when you don't know you imagine all sorts of things, the car is a 2004 so maybe it did have a year W O F.Cheers.Bren-

bren16, Apr 13, 4:21am
Have also noticed it has done 1500k's more than what it was advertised

autocars1, Apr 13, 7:12am
Yes a good website to visit. I use them all the time.

a18a, Apr 13, 8:56am
They could've traveled 1500km since they advertised it

im_andrew, Oct 25, 5:16pm
Carjam make their money from advertising revenue and the reports they sell, before LTNZ started charging for the info, it was paid for by taxpayers. So at that point carjam was making money off something we arer all paying for. Atleast now they are actually having to re-invest some of their earnings in the service they sell.