Clicking noise when reversing and turning?

24mamba, Apr 11, 8:45pm
It's kindof oa clicking noise or the sound of-when something in your boot has tipped over.
Don't know if i've explained that very well.
Noise seems to happen mainly when reversing out of my driveway and i'm turning it slightly.and also moving fwd to turn into driveways.

Is this bad!What is it!
Car is.Toyota Estima Aeras.2001

johnf_456, Apr 11, 10:39pm
Cv joints

morrisman1, Apr 11, 10:43pm
Have a look on the inside of the front wheels, in the centre there should be a rubber boot and all grease contained in that. Chances are the boot has broken letting the grease out and the dirt in and that wears out the CV joint and causes it to click while turning. There is one on each side.

To replace them is usually about $250 for the parts and 4 hours labour on a tricky vehicle.

Lifespan once cliky can be anywhere from 1000km to 20,000km before they implode causing you to lose drive.

24mamba, Apr 12, 4:10am
Hey thanks so much.Quite interesting you say the CV Joints because just after we got the car we had to replace CV joint.surely it can't be the new one that we did!As people were telling us, we should have been replacing the joints together not separately that way they wear together!

I have booked my car in for a service.do you think they'd pick this up while servicing it or no!

morrisman1, Apr 12, 4:21am
its probably not something they will pick up in the service checks, but rather when relocating the car (and noticing the sounds).

CV joints generally only screw out once the boot breaks and crap gets into them. The key is to replace the boot as soon as you know its broken and this is something that should be noted on a comments section of a warrent of fitness or discovered during a service. .

They will not fix it as part of a service, it is something you will have to pay extra for. As far as the new one going clicky, well its possible if they were not greased properly when installed. I personally would only replace both if both are clicky but thats only because I do them myself. If paying someone to do them it could make financial sense to do both, especially if both boots are broken

mrfxit, Apr 12, 6:18am
Ummm. theres FOUR cv joints per end of vehicle.
2 @ 1 each per wheel
2 @ 1 each per gearbox side

Most common for the outer (wheel end) to wear out & most likely the left side
Once done, should be good for anything from 50,000 to 400,000km's.
Parts run from about $45 each upwards & about 1 or 2 hours per side labour upwards

mrfxit, Apr 12, 6:24am
Could also be alignment (total turn) not adjusted properly & the rim is touching part of the suspension

rob_man, Oct 22, 12:40pm
Not turbo seals!