Beacon lights

jono2912, Apr 11, 12:33am
Are there any laws surrounding orange beacon lights on top of vehicles!

fertman, Apr 11, 2:00am
My vehicle being 3m wide has to have a beaon going during the hours of darkness on a public road.

henderson_guy, Apr 11, 9:39am
laws in which regard! Where they have to be used! What's your situation!

jono2912, Apr 11, 10:34am
Just installed one on my van, which I use for mobile auto electrical work, so I work on the side of the road a bit. Someone told me I wasn't allowed it.

I didn't think they were right, so wanted to confirm it.

bigracket, Apr 11, 11:20am
Orange is fine. red blue or green, your asking for trouble.

jono2912, Apr 11, 11:35am
That was my thought.

skin1235, Apr 11, 11:44am
any time you or your vehicle could be deemed to be an obstruction to others it would be wise that you use an orange rotating light
farmers are encouraged to use them on slower moving vehicles, service vans forall sorts of companies use them, etc
there are laws re blue and red, they are reserved for emergency vehicles from designated services, ie police, ambo's, etc but I've never heard of one restricting the orange flasher
That said, is it a good idea to have one in use when it may not actually be needed, it is not needed on a stationary vehicle and yet it may be desirable on a stationary vehicle warning of obstructions ahead, if every tradesman who ever travels slow or stops in difficult places was to have one the roads would be littered with them and they would lose their effect

skin1235, Apr 11, 11:48am
very few instances of you needing it, perhaps while moving a disabled vehicle to a safer place or off a lane or expressway perhaps, but for general callouts to electrical failures on the road it would not be needed, both vehicles would be far enough off the road to be of no inconvenience to others
as above, if overused they will lose their effectiveness, used for the right reason at the right times they will serve us all well

jono2912, Oct 21, 4:07pm
Cheers Skin.

Anyone else know anything!