3.8 Commodore, blown headgasket? or what?

hatchback, Apr 10, 2:36am
Ok I just got my project VH Commie started with the series one V6 and there were alot of continous are bubbles building up in the remote radiator filler, to the stage if you filled the water tank right up the air bubbles would push the water out the top. Temp gauge reads normal but noticed fan not coming on. Took heads off and no visible seeping of the head gaskets, anyone have any ideas!

intrade, Apr 10, 2:54am
waterpump impeller no longer exists. or thermostat is not opening. radiator lid busted.

elect70, Apr 10, 3:25am
Sometimes its not obvious , had low comp on#1 cylinder on my V8 disco , after removing headhard to see where it was leaking , but new gasket cured it .

autocars1, Apr 10, 7:53am
Best is to pressure test the motor complete, so not sure what to advise now. If the heads are ok and test up ok, get a second hand rad from Pinch-a-Part, $120, Put in new water pump, see BNT for that, cheapest, and of course a thermostat. Should be ok. as long there is no oil in the top of the radiator there shouldn't be a head problem. Common problem on some Commodores that pumps haven't been changed, lack of coolant % and servicing. Mine have been all ok. Use green coolant not the red shite. And out the right % coolant in as it won't work, but will look good in the bottle.

hatchback, Apr 10, 7:59am
Thanks people, yes will gets heads tested and new water pump while Im at it. Am also going to put a series 2 inlet manifold on it so it has a better water system instead of the silly seperate water tank and change radiator.

attitudedesignz, Apr 10, 8:18am
Put a new radiator in my VR ute (3800 not ecotec) and was still losing a very small amount of water> Got it pressure tested by reputable rad' shop and they "Nah mate, head gaskets are f**ked" So i got a top end set including new head bolts from a mate who works as aparts supplier.
Talked to a few people in the know with 3800s and Ecotecs 'bout the water loss and they said check the inlet manifold gaskets before i start ripping the heads off.B-
INGO, sorted.

My long winded point is check ALL possibilities before you start pulling it apart.

attitudedesignz, Apr 10, 8:19am
Re-read the OP so i'm bit late lol.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 10, 8:56am
Long winded! You don't know the meaning of the term.
Amateur.

zephyrheaven, Apr 10, 8:57am
watch out - common for doing intake gaskets at this age, can give false BHG idea's to backyarders

attitudedesignz, Apr 10, 10:38am
What i kinda said above lol.

hatchback, Apr 10, 10:46am
Now there is something I had not even thought of, I will check them out tomorrow, Thanks alot for that, gunna be a piss off if they were the trouble and not the " appear to be ok head gaskets" aaarrrrr!

intrade, Apr 10, 8:27pm
go to supersheeep auto and (partsmanster ask for trade price) them 2 are the cheapest usually for parts

hatchback, Oct 20, 2:11am
Thanks, I got two head gaskets from super sheep for $28 the pair, have inlet gaskets coming for $119,a water pump for $65, head bolts for $85 so should be back on the road soon.