What brand of tools are good

gamerman_64, Apr 9, 9:27pm
Going out today to grab some new tools, a socket set and a spanner set.

Can anyone recommend any good brands of warn me of brands to stay away from!

tatts2, Apr 9, 9:30pm
Depeans on how much u want to spend.
Jonesway tools are good.

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:32pm
Koken is my personal preference (since I cant afford Snap On).

gamerman_64, Apr 9, 9:32pm
Sweet, thanks man

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:34pm
I bought a set of Stanley ratcheting spanners about a year ago for around $80 and haven't had a single issue.
They get used a LOT too.
Depends what you are using them for and how much use they will get.
Powerbuilt is OK value for money of not using them everyday and will last quite a while.
The Fuller Pro 1/2 drive sets are OK for the price too.

gamerman_64, Apr 9, 9:37pm
Oh yea!People have told me to stay away from Stanley, but for that price they seem pretty good.I really only need them for a bit of backyard mechanic work, they wont be having an extremely hard life.

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:37pm
With sockets, I generally go for 6 point sockets rather than 12 points as they grip better, meaning less chance of stripping a nut.

jezz43, Apr 9, 9:37pm
blackhawk are fantastic, had a blackhawk ratchet for years. never been able to fault it

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:40pm
These are the ones I bought, only go up to 15mm though:
http://tinyurl.com/3v5dw2c
For 16mm and larger I just buy single spanners as I need them.

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:42pm
Actually, my set is 8mm-15mm.
The Fuller Pro ratchet spanners from Mega look OK too.
Lifetime warranty which helps.
Either set would be fine for home use.
http://tinyurl.com/3d9nvg3

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:44pm
If you dont want ratchet spanners (although they are BLOODY handy.lol), these are OK too.
http://tinyurl.com/4xw36to

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:46pm
Bahco is worth a look too.
Most of the stuff I have mentioned is in the medium price/quality bracket.really depends how much you want to spend.

jasongroves, Apr 9, 9:54pm
If you want to spend a bit more then definitely look at Koken:
http://tinyurl.com/3lr94w2
Has come down in price a fair bit.my 3/8 drive set was just over $500.

jono2912, Apr 9, 9:56pm
x1
Got a set of Bahco a few days ago, brilliant! Also have a small stanley kit, altho they're not top of the range I'll probably lose them before they break.

jono2912, Apr 9, 9:57pm
Get a good set of both! You'll use them well.

tmenz, Apr 9, 10:00pm
Snap-on, Koken, King Tony, Stahlwille, Motorgard, Sidchrome, Elora, Fuller Pro! - depends on your budget - in general terms you get what you pay for - usually just picking up a sample and 'trying it for size' tells you a lot about the quality. Somehow good tools just feel right whereas the cheap rubbish feels all wrong!

lookoutas, Apr 9, 10:02pm
Seeing as you say "backyard" Koken would be my advise also.

unbeatabull, Apr 9, 10:46pm
All my tools at work are either Powerbuilt, Koken or Snap On.

Powerbuilt are good value for money, and they have lifetime guarantee but I haven't had any problems from my Powerbuilt tools which get abused regularly every day at work.

lookoutas, Apr 9, 10:52pm
Had mine since 67, but not for a backyarder at the price they must be now.
My biggest gripe is tight/good quality ratchets, that wind back in the opposite direction once things get loose. Hence why I prefer the light Koken ratchet mechanism.
Have just brought a Stanley ratchet that continuous to ratchet by twisting the handle once things get to finger-tight. Good for in awkward places, and it has a light mechanism. Doesn't feel like it'll take punishment, and that's why I have a Powerbuilt ratchet with a tight rat-shit, and it could probably double as a hammer as well:)

tnt423, Apr 9, 11:16pm
Only tools I spent good money on was my socket sets and ratcheting spanners, Koken and Blue point, for the rest I just use brands like powerbuilt, teng, kingtony etc with the life time warranty.

tmenz, Apr 10, 12:04am
I have a variety of ring/open end spanners.
The nicest 'feel' are Stahwille closely followed by Snap-on and USA made Allen (as in Allen keys).
The others, Sidchrome, Elora, Fuller etc. are 'also rans'.

im_andrew, Apr 10, 12:22am
I didnt know they still made them.

Teng is decent middle of the range stuff, my spanners, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch sets as well as my spanners are all teng. I have had 1 warranty claim, on my 1/4 inch rachet after I dropped it in a tray of diesel and it started flicking between forward and reverse positions while I was using it. I also had to buy a genius 3/8" rachet after I left my teng one in the engine bay of a bus, and i am really happy with the quality of the genius gear, i would say its right up there with koken.

fordcrzy, Apr 10, 12:38am
Koken are fantastic.had mine for 16 years without fault. strong reliable.stanley are not what they used to be.

paull, Oct 15, 2:59pm
what ever you get will have a guarantee anyway,anything off the shelve at repco or super cheap will do what you want,once you start getting into the brands listed on here then its gunna hit the pocket, check trade me for second hand tools as there a few around and also check the police auctions if you have time as there are some great bargains to be had at those auctions