Fish, dr blueoval etc BA heater question

fordluva, Apr 6, 3:25am
the heater in my BA falcon crapped out in the last few days, I noticed a couple of days ago that the heater doors etc started moving without touching any controls, now I turn the heater on and theres no warm air, is there some way to reset the heating system! I want to try everything I can before I get told the dash has to come out.

bigfatmat1, Apr 6, 6:50am
the control units in them are a common problem dash needs to come out to remove them they are attached to the side of the heater box and have all the motors built in I have replaced about 4 for various problems from fan going all the time to no heat on one side of vehicle and heat on the other side. they can also be configured by a scantool. Btw complete dash out is not actually to bad around 1hr

fordluva, Apr 6, 9:42pm
wow, just been quoted $600+gst for labour and $860 for the required part if its the control module.

dr_blueoval, Apr 7, 10:16am
^^Its the mixer door shafts that break, early build BA's seemed to be the worst, there were TSB's issued to the dealers about how to deal with them.Using the IDS I used to check the HIM (heater module/actuator box) not only for fault codes but also the live data, specifically how the HIM was reacting to changes of temperature dialed in from the temp control switch on the ICC, if it was reacting OK but the air blown out wasn't changing it was certain that the mixer rod was broken, if it wasn't then the HIM itself was faulty.It was also possible to see what was happening by putting your head under the dash and watching the levers on the HIM for movement.It would be best to get it to the dealer and for them to follow the TSB on it, which someone there should know about anyway.In both cases of course the dash still has to come out.

fordluva, Oct 9, 12:56pm
thanks guys, got it booked in next week ,Im hoping its only the shaft as I pulled the glovebox out and listened for movement when changing temp, and yep you could definately hear something moving consistently with the movement of the dial so fingers crossed, its a little over $700 cheaper if thats the case, and no Im not going with the dealership that gave me the first quote, the second said should be no more than 5 hours (run scan tool, dash out, heater box out and dismatle to fit shaft, re assemble and re-fit, re-fit dash, reconfigure and test) all of which sounds ok to me, the first lot by the sound of it were going to rip the dash out right or wrong as they said you couldnt tell what the problem was until it was out.