Putting car registration on hold

l.o.t.m, Apr 5, 9:18am
Will there be any charge for doing this!
The registration will be 12 months out on the 10th.

ladyjet1, Apr 5, 9:22am
I think you will have to pay up to date, then there is no charge for putting on hold indefinately

phalanax, Apr 5, 9:26am
Never used to be any charge.give what used to be land transport a call and tell them over the phone or stop in your postshop and ask for the appropriate form.However because of continuous licencing you will have to pay for all the time up till you put it on hold.ideally you should have put it on hold long ago .you can put it on hold year after year .if youve got a good tale .lol

roys351, Apr 5, 9:28am
or if you dont have the money you can change the ownership and new registerd owner can put it on hold buys you some time but they will send you to baycorp so you have to pay at some stage but you can drag it on if you like

l.o.t.m, Apr 5, 9:28am
Ok cool thanks, i haven't got the car.
I was thinking about buying it, but maybe not now.

smac, Apr 5, 9:33am
Heh.whole story helps! If you buy it, do the change of ownership, you can then put it on exemption for nothing. The old owner will get the bill.

suplyuparts, Apr 5, 10:04am
yep thats right.buy it,put it on hold.wait.12months out.be dereg if its 12months out an not on hold.if not dereg yet.the onwer gets the bill.not you.

directorylist, Apr 5, 10:42am
Depends on the age of the car, if its over 40 years old theres no charge, and the plates dont go dormant for 24 months.

cheviot, Apr 5, 9:16pm
Buy it then put the rego on hold. You won't get charged as the previous owner is liable for the back rego from the day you change ownership.

julian.walls, Apr 7, 12:15am
I got one of my cars on hold for 3 years now - kept it in a nice warm dry garage - never being any charge for registration (although in the UK you get charged) I was not aware of age limit like 40 years - never being asked for reasons - I hope to remove it once i find the money to finish its restoration or i decide to sell it :)

socram, Oct 7, 10:09pm
You don't need a reason.I used to put two on hold for 3 months every winter.The age of the vehicle is also immaterial as you can put a newish car on hold too.