Mig welder earth cable question.

40wav, Apr 3, 9:38am
I have a 190 amp mig and the welding lead is about 3 metres long, however the earth lead is only about 1 metre. This means I have to have the machine quite close to my work which can cause the wire to jam due to the welding lead being too bent. Is there a reason the earth lead is short! Could I simply lengthen it to 3 metres with no loss of performance! Cheers.

jezz43, Apr 3, 9:39am
i bought a longer cable for mine (130 amp) and it hasnt affected its performance at all. i cant imagine it would harm yours either

40wav, Apr 3, 9:41am
Cheers for that. I just cant figure why the leads wouldnt be the same length to start with.

jezz43, Apr 3, 9:43am
savesmoney when making the machine as far as i can tell. i cant see any other reason why.

twit7, Apr 3, 10:01am
i just use a jumper lead on mine ,works fine

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 10:04am
As long as its a really good thick cable you can get away with a bit longer in my experience. Remember its low voltage high current which is where you need cable the thicker the better.

The weakest point with modern welders I find is more often the clamp. Change over to a nice solid brass clamp while you are on the go and you will likely be just as well off.

paull, Apr 3, 10:11am
probaly was damaged at some stage and then shortened to suit, just make it same length as the handpiece and it will be sweet as,dosent matter how long or short it is ,it has to be earthed just get the mrs to hold the end and then make sure she puts her hand on the oblect your welding.

40wav, Sep 26, 3:08pm
Hasnt been damaged as I bought it new.
The mrs knows that one from the 'old electric fence trick' unfortunately.

jazz, cheers for the info, did intend to upgrade the clamp anyway.

Cheers all.