Subaru Oil leak

mk3zephyr, Mar 19, 6:34am
Wifes little runabout Impeza has just started leaking oil from the bottom of the front plastic timing cover, Ive never had one of these apart (never had to), whats in behind there that would cause a leak, I,m thinking front engine seal but is there anything else that would be the issue, Simply the front cover gasket maybe!, no Oil leaking from around the crank pulley tho, engine is a 1.8L non turbo model, cheers

joanie32, Mar 19, 6:42am
oilpump seal. its cheap to do and good chance to do cam belt if its needed,

dent, Mar 19, 8:40am
Could be oil pump seal, crankshaft seal or cam shaft seals. You wont know till you pull it apart.

johnf_456, Mar 19, 8:55am
Its very common on those to leak from the rocker cover or cam cover what ever you wish to call them. A new gasket from subaru should sort it, PS the aftermarket ones tend to leak speaking from experience. I'd degrease it all, then go for a drive and see where its coming from oil travels weird sometimes.

mk3zephyr, Mar 19, 5:51pm
It was degreased and i took it for a spin, checked when i got it back and yep leaking around the front timing cover, Whats the bet i take it apart and find the fault, ring the local Subaru dealer and get " We dont have it in stock we will have to get it in for you", Seem to get that quite a bit these days.

johnf_456, Mar 19, 7:17pm
Yup you do very annoying mate, places these days just act as the middleman that have contacts for ordering they don't have parts on hand like they use to. But worth a shot, might have to drive into town or get one shipped out worse comes to worse. The timing covers are good at leaking on those, least its an easy fix on the positive when you find the correct part. Just make sure you do the timing bolts up to the right torque and in the right order.

mk3zephyr, Apr 1, 4:22am
$16 for the crank seal and $4 for the o'ring, no leaky leaky now lol, Oh and the dealer had them in stock, bluddy amazing

lookoutas, Apr 1, 5:00am
See!They are good cars.

And good to see a result posted.

franc123, Sep 16, 11:55am
Generally they do, remember there are a lot of them on the road and are pretty common to fail so its definitely worth the agents keeping them, they are as much a consumable part like oil filters and timing belts.For future reference if you do have to do the rocker cover gaskets, again use the genuine parts, they are much better than aftermarket in my experience.