Cv joint oil leak

cute_char, Jul 31, 1:25pm
would a cv joint cause a oil leak? 1993 civic has started leaking oil of far left hand side of car at the same time as the cv joints needing replacing but it's engine oil because it keeps needing a top up when it never needed it before was wondering if this would be the cause or is it something else? I know the cv joints need to be done as it clicks when you turn now but hoping this is the cause of the oil leak.

morrisman1, Jul 31, 1:31pm
no CV joints do not leak oil, they have a dark grey grease in them which makes a big mess inside the wheel arch when it leaks. The clicking has nothing to do with your oil leak.

franc123, Jul 31, 1:33pm
They are separate components that use different lubricants. You will probably find that the engine may have developed a leak from the front crank seal, or maybe the front of the sump, which in the case of that car isn't very far away from the LF CV joint.

cute_char, Jul 31, 1:37pm
Ok just hoping it doesnt have a oil leak again after I just got it fixed at the mechanics 6 months ago for a bad oil leak but this oil leak was leaking oil in a different place it needed the rocket cover replaced. stopped leaking oil for those 5 months but has started again in a different place. but it is quite a old car with a lot of kms on it. but have always had services on it on the 2 years I've had on it. it never blows any smoke at all which is good for a car that old with high kms. its also needed a left front bush replaced not long ago so it would pass a wof not sure if that might have anything to do with it.

headcat, Jul 31, 1:57pm
A Batmobile? Just asking because they are the only model with a "rocket cover".

mecanix, Nov 8, 6:54am
Maybe a side seal on the box. And the oil loss is coincidence. Or the distributor seal. Or as the poster above suggests. A crank seal.