Can you help stop the wind noise?

bmw22, Mar 27, 10:38pm
When I had some panel work done on my subaru legacy (pillar less windows) they had to take the window out to take the door off to get the front panel fixed. Since then I have noticed that there is the wind noise from around the front of the windows. I have taken it back to the panel beater, they fluffed around with it, and told me they had fixed the problem. Still not being satisfied, i took it back for them to tell me there is nothing they can do. It has the monsoon guards fitted, but it was never like that until the played with the window. Is there any way to minimise or completely reduce the wind noise! do i need new door seals! any help would be good. cheers

mantagsi, Mar 27, 10:41pm
In quite a few official service manuals it is recommended to get strips of tape and put them over panel gaps around the doors and do several drives with the tape in different places to ascertain exactly which gap is causing the wind noise. In your case I imagine it might be a case of checking the removed parts have been refitted correctly, and if they have replaced any rubbers etc, make sure they are of the same shape / profile and quality. If you can, compare the panelbeater repaired side with its opposite original on the other side of the car and see if there are any noticable differences. Good luck :)

gunhand, Mar 27, 10:43pm
What sort of panel work! Did involve door removale! Sounds like they need to adjust the door hinges or the striker so it closes tighter. Doors can be adjusted multiple ways and may take a few trys. Is the seal on the moonsoon tight!

rob_man, Mar 27, 10:43pm
Sounds like the window mechanism could need adjusting, they take a bit of figuring out sometimes.
Actually, your post doesn't quite gel. There's no need to remove the window to get the door off. It might be just the door hinges that need aligning properly to pull the window in tighter on the rubber.

bmw22, Mar 27, 10:44pm
Thanks for that. I have looked at both sides. both are still the original of the car. Is almost like the window isnt sliding up in to the correct position and therefore causing a small gap. If the panel beater guys are able to fix my solution, who could!

bmw22, Mar 27, 10:46pm
When they took the front guard off, they said they had to take the door off. In order to get the door off, you need to remove the window apparently. I am not a mechanic, so i just assumed they new what they were talking about

gunhand, Mar 27, 10:46pm
You need to explain what was done to give an idea of the problem. Was the window removed for any reason!

bmw22, Mar 27, 10:47pm
They replaced they front guard. And yes the seals between the window and the seal seems to be tight

gunhand, Mar 27, 10:50pm
Never heard of having to rmove a window to remove a door before! Only reason I can think of to remove window is to access behind it or its broken, or the mechanisem needs romoved to do something behind it.

gunhand, Mar 27, 10:51pm
Does the door appear to line up with the back door, ie mouldings line up and top of doors a flush etc.

elvis58, Mar 27, 10:53pm
I remember from ones i have owned that wind noise was often caused by the mirror, try giving it a tweek!

afer_daily, Mar 28, 1:05am
stop eating so many beans

brightfire, Mar 30, 6:51pm
If they removed the window for any reason pillarless windows have door stoppers inside the door that make them stop when they get to the top so some of those could be in the wrong place and not letting the window seal correctly. Check that the guardliner and all under the wheel are all sitting in the correct place that could also do it!

intrade, Sep 1, 5:41pm
he is talking about the monsoon shield it maybe what is wisteling between its gap. find out if it is the shield or the actual car window.