Ford Falcon overheated

Page 1 / 2
andrea13, Mar 25, 7:15am
our 92 falcon got badly overheated (to the point where it stopped with no oil pressure) due to a burst hose. I transported it home and repaired the hose, changed the oil and plugs, and gave it a check over. surprisingly it still goes fine, not smokey or noisy, but soon after this it blew a heater hose (although fortunately was not overheated this time, the warning light was observed) I have since repaired the heater hose and am running it with the radiator cap loose, so as not to build up pressure in the cooling system until I suss it out. It is using a couple of litres of water per day but there is no evidence of it getting into the oil, nor of any leaks. I figure it has at least a blown head gasket because it is pressurising the coolant, am I likely to be up for a new head too! Are there any ford fixersthat have dealt with this before!

johnf_456, Mar 25, 7:26am
Probably the head has gone, any unsual smoke out the exhaust like steam! Mayo oil or vice versa in rad.

andrea13, Mar 25, 7:45am
nah, watching that. not sure on steam from exhaust but keeping an eye on oil, we have put at least 10l of water in this week but oil seems ok, level not rising, and no whipped cream yet, it does blow a few bubbles in the coolent tank when you give it a big rev, but no evidence of oil in coolent.
I presume it has at least a blown head gasket though, maybe a warped or cracked head! how about head studs, can they go soft and stretch!

this car got really hot and was driven until it ground to a halt with all the oil and shit burning off the motor. I am amazed that it didn't seize, it was probably only because it had just had an oil change that saved it. the dipstick was so hot that I burned my fingers on it half an hour afterward .

andrea13, Mar 25, 7:46am
one of the spark plugs fell apart when I removed it.

nave12, Mar 25, 7:56am
Sounds like a head issue,this procedure is the way to do your coolant change for helpful information.

remove thermostat and have heater on high and radiator cap off to drain the system. If you are lucky there will be a drain plug on the bottom RHS of the radiator (look up with a torch where there is a round hole in the support rail giving access (if not drop the bottom hose).

To fill:

a) When engine is cold fill at thermostat housing with thermostat out, heater on high and if possible car on a slight slope so front of car is at highest point (this will aid air flow to front).
b) One filled to top of thermostat housing replace thermostat and housing cover and fill balance at overflow recovery tank.
c) Run until hot with radiator cap loosely fitted (not screwed on) this will allow air to bleed from system.
d) Allow to cool top up and fit cap tightly and Bob's your uncle.
e) Repeat annually to prevent head corrosion.

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:01am
You have mentioned the thermostat,john didnt or the OP.
First thing anyone should check is that,if it is building pressure or getting hot.
I would take the thrmostat out and see that it has water flow first,if no flow its the water pump.

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:13am
Oh cmon johnf.process of elimination.

johnf_456, Mar 25, 8:15am
Well the coolant has to be going somewhere so why would the thermostat be the issue. Its not leaking out or in the oil so it has to be head / head gasket. A few litres a day does not dissipate into thin air. Flow will not fix much you have to find out where that coolant is going.

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:16am
Because it can escape from the casting hole on the base of the pump and evaporate.many falcons have had this happen.
You wouldnt even know,if you didnt know where to look.

johnf_456, Mar 25, 8:19am
Just seems sus and the fact the spark plugs fell aprt when removed, could be water getting in the combustion chamber.

andrea13, Mar 25, 8:21am
ok, I removed the thermostat right away, sorry forgot to mention that. I ordered a new one when I got the plugs and oil and stuff, but they didn't have one on the shelf. the car is currently running without a thermostat and the heater core is bypassed.

I tested theold therm in a pot of water on the stove, it seems to work ok but cant check the opening temp because the kid broke my thermometer. The therm opened fully before the water boiled so was probably ok at the time

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:22am
Plugs will do that when heavy handed with the ratchet doing them up,then removing they break.
Eliminate the small stuff before giving it the last rights.

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:23am
Does it have water flow without thermo in!

johnf_456, Mar 25, 8:24am
Yea I know I'd be interested to know what colour the plugs are, does the car run rich or cough or anything like that!

andrea13, Mar 25, 8:25am
ok, cool so my head might be ok! is using about 2 l of water for every 20 or so k so I would have expected a puddle esp. overnight. my biggest worry is a cracked head.

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:25am
Its going to run rich,as he has no thermostat in it.

johnf_456, Mar 25, 8:26am
not necessarily

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:28am
Put you hand under the front cowling under bumper,if you find water there it could be pump.
Fark 2ltrs,for 20kms.it has a serious problem

1fordluva, Mar 25, 8:30am
92 falcon,at normal temp ok,temp to low,run rich,temp to high run rich.

andrea13, Mar 25, 8:31am
yeah seems fine, pissed out when the heater hose went, like a fountain

johnf_456, Mar 25, 8:33am
I meant majorly rich to the point its having large amounts of smoke coming out and very obvious which is different to a cold engine rich.

andrea13, Mar 25, 8:35am
before this it ran fine, just had a good trip away,decent economy, runs like a clock (even now). the plugs have always been fine, perhaps a bit paler than I would have expected but pretty consistant, only ever ran rich when map sensor hose fell off lol

nave12, Mar 25, 8:35am
I think the first two sentences in the OP are the answer to the problem,over heating really badly sounds.Bad especially if its not detected quite quickly.

johnf_456, Mar 25, 8:35am
ah ok mmm

andrea13, Mar 25, 8:37am
am usually pretty careful when doing up plugs, but I guess its not impossible