Commodore question

missmaverick1, Mar 22, 8:56pm
i have a 94 vn/vp and i ripped the middle muffler off when i bellied out. it had three mufflers on the one exhaust pipe what would happen if i just welded a bit of pipe there to bridge the gap! my guess it would just be louder! will i loose economy or fail a warrant!

phalanax, Mar 22, 9:48pm
Play it safe and weld another middle muffler in.Or go to the wreckers and get one.then take to a garage of workshop and get it fitted.or get a whole system from the wreckers block the car on all fours and fit it yourself.

dave653, Mar 22, 10:33pm
V6 or V8! Our VN V6 is quieter than stock! I made a set of headers, M&H muffler (from TM) up front, mandrel tailpipe with Mercury muffler out back, no cat, std 2 1/4 dia right through. I can't hear it coming up the drive anymore, she parks it in the carport on the side of the house. And it's heaps quieter on the open road, we just spent the weekend at Meremere, and along the Ruakaka straights I had it sitting on 7.8l/100km. 35.8mpg!

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 23, 3:03am
1994 is VR. vn is 89-91 and vp is 91-93.

If you just whack a piece of same diameter pipe you will have a slightly droning but not too loud exahust system. Its actually the quickest and easiest way to get some sound from the car if thats the thing your going for. If you want it to be quiet and non droning you'l need another muffler welded back in place.

And yes you will pass wof if you have welded the pipe in properly (no holes or dodgy welds).

im_andrew, Aug 17, 6:56am
First box is a your cat converter. You dont need it for WOF and its not tied in with any sensors so you can take it out if you like. Second box is the muffler, if you weld a pipe in place of this it will sound shit and be a bit louder, welding a coby in place may be a better choice. Or just a new muffler. Third box (after the diff) is a resinator. It will be louder if you take this out, but wont sound horrible.