Who is running their vehicle on vegetable oil?

callum.irvine, Mar 11, 6:35am
Was pretty popular in UK for quite a while there. Mainly because it was actually cheaper to go to the supermarket and buy 40 litres of cooking oil than fill up with diesel. Same probably doesn't apply here, because we pay RUC, in UK the tax is already on the diesel. Making it about the same price as petrol. The consensus seems to be that a bit of vege oil doesn't harm your car. Certainly if you are tipping out waste oil at home from your deep fryer, consider adding it to your tank. 2 or 5 litres in a tank full of diesel is certainly going to do no harm.

mrfxit, Mar 11, 8:03am
Really need to at least let sit & decante for a month or 2.
I put my waste frier oil in milk bottles so that I can see what sludge has settled, then decante the top off in to a clean milk bottle, (at least 2 or 3 lot's of settling/decanting)
Takes a couple of months like that & it's scary what settles on the bottom of the bottle.
I just add a litre of oil after topping up with about 20 lltres of diesel.

mrfxit, Mar 11, 8:39am
THAT you can have. the chippy is MINE ;-)

twaymouth, Mar 11, 8:44am
I used to run my corona on vegetable oil, The main problem wasn't the bits floating in the oil it was the suspended water that you cant see. I used to filter the oil thorough a 10 micron water filter, diesel truck filter and then put it into an old hot water cylinder and heat it up real hot to get all the water out. If all the water is not removed you will stuff your injector pump.

mantagsi, Mar 11, 9:03am
What if you pumped it through a liquid line dessicant drier, like the sort they use in refrigeration systems! That might do the trick to pull the water out, and any other scabby bits in the oil. Would be a bit of a slow process, but relatively simple

twaymouth, Mar 11, 9:13am
Sounds like it might work but the waste vegetable oil was really nasty to work with, Thick sludgy and smelly, because it is quite thick it may take a while to get through a refrigeration dryer. I gave up on the idea of oil as fuel fairly quickly due to the work involved in getting it ready for use in the car and the worry that it may destroy the engine

intrade, Mar 11, 8:01pm
vegetable oil has a few problems one big one is water that binds to the oil naturally and does not easy seperate.The correct process to get waste wvo oil to diesel is not real easy. you need boilers to heat it up in large quantity and a product called lie to get it to seperate. you then have glicerin and thin oil seperated after the process.to clean oil you want to use a centrifuge as filters is like pi$$ing against the wind.

intrade, Mar 11, 8:07pm
also new diesel with commonrail should not be run on any waste oil without correct research . most will not run and you be in for huge repair bills. One is the injection system has so tini holes that it would block the system easy with a to heavy oil.

jason18, Mar 11, 10:02pm
Yeah I run my petrol car on chip oil. I added it one day and ran mint so carried it on. . I also mix it with a 50/50 water oil mix to lean it out a bit and saves me even more

intrade, Mar 11, 10:05pm
i think you smoke to much dubi.

intrade, Mar 11, 10:12pm
thats what a diy setup looks like to make vegetable oil in to usable diesel.

http://www.durston.org.uk/Workshops/Biodiesel%20Workshop.html
google wvo for more infos.

robbo36, Mar 11, 11:30pm
The Rotorua Duck Tours vehicles, which are WWII Landing Crafts, run on waste cooking oil from local takeaway shops. When riding them you get a whiff now and again from the exhaust, which incidently, smells a bit like old fish and chips cooking. Mmmmmmmm.fish and chips.
http://www.rotoruaducktours.co.nz/

callum.irvine, Mar 22, 6:20am
Yep, its how the police started prosecuting those in the UK doing it. The smell from the exhaust is a giveaway.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 22, 6:35am
Shouldnt happen here though as our RUC is separate so there is no tax issue.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 13, 5:13pm
For what its worth I have a Mercedes W123 Diesel which is supposed to be the bees knees for vege conversion, it could be put up on trademe for purchase if anyone wanted it. It needs some work done on it but reg is on hold, motor is very good and the body is generally sound.