Need help 1979 mitsi mirage

jfp1, Mar 21, 1:39am
That's your fuel pump mounted on that rear of the cylinder head and no, it should not be plugged and it should not leak fuel. A replacement pump is required. Some models had a small push rod arrangement in the head driven off the camshaft to work the pump and they often fall out when you are not looking when doing the pump change. Pumps are readily available but you will need to work out if it's a 2 or 3 pipe pump.

phillip.weston, Mar 21, 1:39am
that's the fuel pump. sounds like a split diaphragm. that hole is the 'weep hole', usually oil leaks out of there but fuel can leak out of there too.

carkitter, Mar 21, 2:01am
It's a common replacement part so I'd check all the usual places, Mitsi dealer, Supercheap, Repco.

fleming.a.j.s, Mar 21, 3:13am
If it looks the same, it will likely be the same !

elvis58, Mar 21, 6:55am
No that's for the 1600 and some 1800 engines, it has a 3 bolt mount where yours has 2. Your pump is common to G62/63 engines fitted to chariots, galants and the likes so should be easily obtained. Be aware that they have a plunger rod driven from the cam that can fall out when you remove the pump, if reinserted wrong you can lose it in the sump!

robbo36, Mar 21, 7:25am
By the looks of your photo, someone has had the fuel pump off recently, judging by the red poo sealant either side of the mounting gasket. How long have you owned the car!

elvis58, Mar 21, 9:01am
They also have nasty habit of filling the engine with the fuel from the fuel tank if parked nose down a steep hill.

phillip.weston, Mar 21, 9:14am
hey elvis I think that's a 4G11 engine or whatever those Mk1 Mirages come with! I don't think a '79 Mirage would have a 4G62/3 - you can almost make out the tin rocker cover the early Orion engines have, rather than the alloy Sirius rocker covers.

elvis58, Mar 21, 9:18am
Never said they did, i said the pump was alsp fitted to the 62/3 engine more commonly found in Sigma's and chariots which being a wee bit newer should make them easier to find both second hand and after market. The mirage was 4g11, 12 and 13 with the odd 32 chucked in for good measure.The one this guy has will take the same pump as the 62/3 fine.

phillip.weston, Aug 10, 6:06pm
oh right, sorry I must have mis-read that, didn't realise the Sirius pumps fitted on the Orions also.