Need a wagon as a second car - Legnum or Camry?

vic62, Mar 21, 1:52am
Am looking at the following 2 wagons. Auction 359746228, a 94 V6 Camry wagon, or auction 362574822, a 97 Legnum ST V6. Which of these would be the better option! Is the Legnum one of those bad GDI models that people talk about! If not, then its looks like a good option as the guy has just done a whole lot of work on it including cambelt. I know with the Camry V6 they can have issues if the cooling system isn't looked after! Plus the Camry has done lower kms. I don't pay for my gas, so am not worried knowing these 2 use more petrol than a 4cylinder, but I want something reliable that will do a 20km round trip 3-4 times a week. What should I be asking the people selling these cars! But yeah not sure which of these is the better option. Any advice pls would be great! Thanks, Vic

krisbop, Mar 21, 1:53am
camry best option as legnums have dud transmit ions

franc123, Mar 21, 2:08am
First congrats to you for doing at least some research on what to buy.

If you want a Legnum, thats the precise model you SHOULD buy
If you want a Camry, thats the precise model you SHOULDN'T buy

The Legnum is a non GDI and manual, bloody nice cars to drive, perform and handle well and that particular one looks like its been looked after quite well.I would doubt that it has any serious issues coming up.

The Camry is getting well into the danger zone for the dreaded head gasket/head corrosion issue, the seller gives the impression they've just driven it and done what they've had to.I'd be asking questions about what they have actually done in that time.

phillip.weston, Mar 21, 2:32am
The Legnum will be a MUCH more nicer car to drive than the Camry, and it has safety features like air bags which the Camry lacks. The Camry will undoubtably be seen as 'more reliable', despite being a model which isn't known to be particularly reliable, and is generally over-priced, over-rated and a bore to drive.

Things to check on the Legnum would be knocking or squeaking noises coming from the front suspension - it usually would be bottom ball joints which would require replacing.

phillip.weston, Mar 21, 2:53am
that's the older generation 6G74 engine as opposed to the newer 6A13 in the Legnum. They still tend to get smokey at higher miles, and can occasionally blow head gaskets. Transmissions aren't the best either, but if they are serviced when they should be and not abused then they run fine.

tmenz, Mar 21, 3:14am
Have they finally started fitting ion engines - just like Star Trek.

craig04, Mar 21, 5:53am
The Camry will be much roomier buts that's about all it has going for it. The Legnum would be my pick. Nice V6 AND manual. No brainer for me.

mottly, Mar 21, 7:00am
Camry for sure - never had a prob with mine, they're bludy reliable solid car's.

phillip.weston, Mar 21, 7:06am
Is yours a V6!

jkcullen, Mar 21, 7:43am
Had my Camry for 10 years and it was fantastic,reliable as,good on gas. Relunctantly at 260,000 km we moved to a legnumV6 as mileage was getting high an the old girl and coupla things went wrong on it. New carhas leather seats an woodgrain finish ,only done 130,000 km.Only run 95 octane on it and we love it so far. Bit thirstier on gas than the camry ,butnice car to drive.Hard to find Camrys now on lower kms.

twink19, Mar 21, 7:53am
camry

807, Aug 10, 2:14pm
Ion engines.I like it .Beam me up, Scotty !