Just wrote my car off on test drive!

Page 2 / 2
socram, Jan 29, 9:02pm
Bought my GT back in 1991 without even sitting in it too!

big.b-lil.c, Jan 29, 10:31pm
i just have to ask, what did she hit!

tgray, Jan 30, 2:50am
Flattened a letterbox and it's concrete base. Had that not broken the cars momentum, she would have gone down a steep bank and into a house at the bottom. Apparently, when her friend told her to brake, she used her left foot and applied the 'hand brake' on the floor. Didn't realise a foot brake lives next door to the accelerator.

owene, Jan 30, 3:34am
So you're a reasonably honest car dealer then!

cory_pearson, Jan 30, 7:13am
My brother did that with his first car.Crashed it pulling it into the driveway at the end of the test drive.Like this girl, he paid for it in full and set about to repair the vehicle for almost what he paid for it.Lesson learned!

gooddealz2, Jan 30, 11:09am
owene
I'm not a car dealer at all.Just a huge car enthusiast.Funny thing is that I'd decided to hang onto it but hadn't taken the sign out of the back window.He spotted it at my local garage getting a warrant and they put him in touch.Must admit it's the one and only time I've done that but it just felt right at the time.

mrfxit, Jan 30, 8:48pm
LMFAO . classic ;-)

joota, Feb 2, 10:50am
My mate had a fella come to test drive his car.he couldnt work out how to put the car from park to drive, and didnt know how to put the handbrake down either. Car was a toyota celica, one of the easiest cars to drive. How the hell did the fella get his licence!

3tomany, Feb 2, 7:05pm
as a motor vehicle dealer i think you riped her off as youre insurance should have covered it and if you have none then hard luck to you, the poor asian obviously didnt realise in new zealand the owner must insure a car. shame on you tgray

jason18, Feb 2, 7:11pm
I dont agree at all. It was her fault she crashed so why should Tgray have to cover it! If I crashed a car on test drive or a mates car I would expect to pay for it through my own funds. Why should his insurance have to go up because this lady crashed! I think you need to have a look and see how high your horse is.Might be time to get off it!

3tomany, Feb 2, 7:25pm
i pay lots of insurance and would never expect someone to pay if they crash one of my cars. they are worth a lot of coin to some but lots of people drive them. infact just last week i came across a head on and i knew one of the people involved. since they lived 50k away and there car was to damaged to drive i let them take my brand new ranger home, do you seriously think if by bad luck he wrote that of he should pay 46 grand to replace it when it is my responsibility to insure it!

tantric5, Feb 2, 7:39pm
When I was sitting my bike licence, a group of Asians came in with what looked like a tour guide. They were doing the written test and this guide was talking non stop. I was thinking, he's probably giving them allthe answers.the kiwi ladies at the counter wouldn't have had any idea what communication was going back and forth between that group.

That may explain how they get past the written test.

how do they pass the driving test!

tazcsv, Feb 3, 1:52am
If i sell a car and you break it you buy it, Simple really.

petal_91, Feb 3, 1:55am
You can actually do the written test in Chinese and a few other languages I believe.

shuddupowh, Feb 3, 2:12am
Car dealers have insurance, yes. But they are supposed to take a copy of your licence (must be a Full & current to be covered) for proof that they checked you before handing the keys over, then dealer goes and fills in the paper work so if anything happens they're both covered. When private sale, the test driver should just pay up. When we bought out Oddyssey, the dealer just move it for us gave me the key & said "see ya soon, go have a good drive".didnt check my licence or anything. I have a full & current,and he knew my partner as her parents are regular customers (buying their cars & childrens cars from him). But he didnt know me, so he was pretty much putting all his trust in me. If I crashed it, I could've walked away.

jason18, Feb 3, 2:19am
Yeah I guess. Maybe the asian girl could have paid excess. Im thinking more along the lines of private sale. But still if I damaged your car be it a 46k ranger or a 1k crapper. I would pay up for the repairs thats just me.

tgray, Feb 3, 2:36am
Well, she agreed to buy the car, so how did I rip her off!
They are 100% at fault and I am 0% at fault and you think it's shame on me! If someone crashed your car and they agreed to buy it, I don't think you would say no. Yes, I could have claimed through insurance and would have, if they did not agree to buy it. It was their choice.

tgray, Feb 3, 2:42am
aahhh, you mention by 'bad luck'. This was not bad luck, but sheer negligence through very poor driving. They crashed my car at the end of a very quiet dead end road. By their own admission, they
told me they didn't know how to use the brake pedal but still chose to get behind the wheel and drive it anyway.
If I wasn't a nice guy, I could have called the police and they would have been charged with driving offences and possibly being in possession of a forged NZ driver licence. We all shook hands and all said goodbye and there were smiles allround. Why should I offer to go through the hassle of MY insurance when they still wanted to buy the car!
"Shame on me!" Come on.get real.

tgray, Feb 3, 2:42am
aahhh, you mention by 'bad luck'. This was not bad luck, but sheer negligence through very poor driving. They crashed my car at the end of a very quiet dead end road. By their own admission, they
told me they didn't know how to use the brake pedal but still chose to get behind the wheel and drive it anyway.
If I wasn't a nice guy, I could have called the police and they would have been charged with driving offences. We all shook hands and all said goodbye and there were smiles allround. Why should I offer to go through the hassle of MY insurance when they still wanted to buy the car!
"Shame on me!" Come on.get real.

3tomany, Feb 3, 7:48pm
yip ok if you were honest with them about youre obligations and they were happy to buy the car rather than muck around with insurance and police reports then yea good on you for perhaps making life easier all round.