MG experts - in here please! =)

Page 2 / 2
duke250, Jan 30, 7:20pm
MGFs eats headgaskets like fuel. People get rid of those cars pretty quick! Just a warning, but if you really want one go 4 it.

But if the dealer can sell a 3 year warranty with the car, go 4 that 2.

wasser61, Jan 30, 7:38pm
Umm why are you still driving a car when there is a possible fault in the Airbag system!

jsbike, Jan 30, 7:53pm
because its a supplemental restraint in the event of a crash, not a primary one!

kcf, Jan 30, 8:27pm
I've had three MX5's and they're a bunch of fun to drive, albeit slow (1600cc ones anyway).I've also had a pair of AW11 (1980's) MR2s that were great fun other than the rust.Kind of thinking about looking at an MRS if I do go for another ragtop.The bum has seriously dropped out of the MRS prices recently, which is nice for people looking to buy one.Obviously sucks for people who are looking to sell them though.

Why they only made the MRS with the 1ZZFE economy engine, not the 2ZZGE "lift" engine baffles me.Just think how quickly you could go backwards into the scenery with more power . mmmmmmmmmm :-)

duke250, Jan 30, 8:39pm
pff, whats the worst that can happen!

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 8:46pm
Death! Not to worry.

duke250, Jan 30, 9:20pm
But not all cars have airbags.

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 9:32pm
I think this is a wind up thread actually, is dudley_online another user name of yours jazz, or a mate. Brand new member and all.

Will the real dudley_online please stand up, please stand up.

kazbanz, Jan 30, 10:03pm
OP I can only relate my personal experience with the MGF.
In my opinion the driving experience is better than the competition in the price range. Being mid engined and having a few more ponies just seems to make them feel more planted in corners.
Issues I have encountered have been
1) Refusing to start for what seemed to be no aparent reason.
This has been clearly documented and turns out to be caused by parking too close to cell towers. The signal interferes with the cars security system.-literally push the car as little as 50m and it starts perfectly normally.
2) On a wet day hopping in the car and finding a paddling pool in the foot well. This is caused by a badly desighned seal /catch across the front of the windsheild. MG/rover's response was to shrug and say -"its an MGF-they leak"I must say this was in the 96 model and I was told this is a lot better in later models.
3) The"head gasket" issue is a desighn fault. The cylinder liners simply do not have enough support in the ally casings and drop about 2mm
Its so common that the local MG garage pretty well has it down pat how to fix the issue
Again this is entirely based on personal experience with several MGF'ssince around 2002

saxman99, Jan 30, 10:38pm
Because I'm a nutcase wild child who lives on the edge, man.

esprit, Jan 30, 10:55pm
I've got a Rover K-series kicking out wbout 225bhp and have never had an issue with the head gaskets. I've also driven a Rover K-series car for the last 7 years and have never had an engine issue other than having to rebuild one of them to freshen it after many years of racetrack use. something I'd have had to do whether it was made by Rover, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan or any other manufacturer you choose to name.

The headgasket problem is massively overstated and improper repair is the main reason for serious failures.

socram, Jan 31, 1:10am
dudley_online now dudley_offline

carstauranga001, Jan 31, 1:13am
Yes, very interesting.

fordcrzy, Jan 31, 2:33am
the problem with car mag reviews is that compare stock cars on stock tyres. the mx5 isnt GREAT on stock suspension and tyres but if you upgrade them you make the mx5 a WEAPON around corners.add the same mods to an mgf and its still just an mgf with tyres and new shocks.