Smokey Mitsubishi

curlcrown, Feb 4, 2:24am
Yes I know POS. But its the old shape chariot not the GDI model. It's my mum's car and the rings are worn. Not interested in fixing it but I've got some good additve that came highly recommended. What grade oil should I use! Cheap warehouse oil OK! Don't want to just put the additve in as there is already another additve in there that didn't work. We are not interested in longevity of the engine, just stopping it smoking short term so It can contunue to be used utill a suitable car can be found.

intrade, Feb 4, 2:26am
depends on what the additive does and if it uses loads of oil!

curlcrown, Feb 4, 2:30am
The additive is wynn's. A local mechanic has used it many times, mainly on mitsubishis (no surprise there) The car is clearly using oil based on the amount of smoke coming from the exhaust, even after a short period of idleing.

phillip.weston, Feb 4, 2:35am
I would run a 20W50 or even a 25W60 oil (Penrite makes one from memory). It's probably a combination of leaking valve stem seals (smoke when idling) and worn or gummed up oil control rings (smoke when accelerating/under load).

curlcrown, Feb 4, 2:39am
It never smokes on start up so I don't think its valve stem seals, only upon ecceleration after idling.

phillip.weston, Feb 4, 2:53am
yeah probably rings then. Switch to a thicker quality oil and give it a good run (ie get some revs up it) and see how that goes before using an additive. I think the Wynns stuff is just a thickener for the oil and forms a thick layer on the top when the oil drains back down to the sump.

curlcrown, Feb 4, 3:10am
Thanks. I'll try a thicker oil first.

cp2011, Feb 4, 6:15am
I used two bottles of stop smoke and 20w50 warehouse brand in a old mirage this week and it worked well. same story just needed it to last a couple more months and pass its wof recheckwhich it did

gmphil, Feb 4, 6:48am
Slick 50 not sure u can still get

mugenb20b, Feb 4, 7:04am
To me, that's valve stem seals.

andy61, Feb 4, 9:28am
[
quote=mugenb20b] To me, that's valve stem seals.[/quote
Isntworn valve stem seals = smoke on de-acceleration,smoke on acceleration is worn rings.

mrfxit, Feb 4, 8:28pm
General rule .

Continuous smoke regardless of situation = rings
Puff of smoke when stomping on gas after idle or down hill drag= valve seals

Valve seal smoke stops after a few seconds
Ring smoke will fade but keeps on coming

guest, May 25, 3:40am
Aparently ive heard that the gdi injecters leak down when vehicle off, due to high fuel presure and worn seals in injecters this then cause bore wash from the excessive fuel, which wears the rings + glazes the bores= smokes. Inlet gets coked due to oil in egr comming back from exhaust.