Holden's 1969 Concept Car

duggin, Feb 6, 12:44am
The Holden Hurricane - 4.2 litre V8 producing 262hp, 4-barrell carbs not seen in production until late '70s.

Have a look .

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4968/Holden-Hurricane.html

afer_daily, Feb 6, 1:03am
looks like a purvis eureka .

lordv81, Feb 6, 1:41am
What model Holden was equipped with a four barrelled 253!in the late 70s,just curios.

saki, Feb 6, 2:51am
In 1969 they also did the GTR-X used a modified version of the existing 6 cylinder engine and had the basic suspension and drive train as the lc XU!

saki, Feb 6, 2:52am

ceedoubleyou, Feb 6, 5:54pm
Hurricane shown in 1969 as a concept/show car, purvis eureka was produced from 1974, so Purvis looks like the Hurricane.

ryanm2, Feb 6, 6:03pm
the more time you spend in this forum, the more it becomes like groundhog day.

kamikaze5, Feb 6, 6:19pm
I was also going to say that it kind of resembles a Eureka. Concept cars should be pushing the boundaries so the styling was definitely forward thinking (for a Holden) but the 4 barrel 253! It would have been good to know what work they did on the motor as It doesnt really go into detail. Still cool though, put me down for one.

ceedoubleyou, Feb 7, 2:27am

marte, Feb 7, 6:16am
Nice.

Oh, except for the 'tin can lid' idea.

markthesparky, Feb 7, 6:21am
it was used to test holdens new lightweight - lighter than a SBChev anyway
V8 engines. it also had a reversing cameror as well

foxdonut, Feb 7, 6:57am
Such innovation.

Where did it all go in 1970, never to be seen again!

markthesparky, Feb 7, 8:24am
I read a book on this back in '94. it was basically a L-34 but holden hadn't yet made the 308 block so they put all the cam and heads and stuff on the 253 & they were going to put it in a L.J torana and call it a xu-2 but to meny people died in xu-1's and ghetto f'ked on race days so they didn't build it

rotormotor7, Feb 7, 8:33am

lordv81, Feb 7, 9:27am
They did build a couple of "XU2" cars but never put them into production.Theres a good story in street machine or other type mag about the test driver running low on water while out test driving one night and had to pull into some back of beyond place to get some.It turned out to be a farmer/country party,he was mobbed by interested people exited to see such a car.Took him ages to get away.The "super car" scare is what really killed the programme.