Help with ticking noise in Suzuki TL1000s motorbi

fatdx, Feb 9, 5:32am
Has anyone had experience with a ticking noise coming from the motor only when it warms up. Have taken it to be looked at, checked the valve clearances, but noise is still there. Any ideas!

kazbanz, Feb 9, 5:34am
front or rear cylinder--what year is the bike!

klrider, Feb 9, 6:05am
you will find the noise dissapears with your helmet on at 100KPH.

fatdx, Feb 9, 6:25am
both i think does the chain stretch

lookin4ord, Feb 9, 8:53am
yep sure do, try leaning the bike over while its idling and tell me if it stops if yes side play on the cams

fatdx, Feb 9, 8:15pm
If thats the case, is it easily fixed! Or quite expensive!

kazbanz, Feb 9, 8:36pm
Yes cam chains do stretch I'm scratching my head that the noise apears to apear only after the bike warms up.
Makes me wonder about the oil viscosity

desmodave, Feb 9, 9:12pm
You had better hope its not a gudgeon pin working its way out.Have you done an oil change and had a good look at the used filter and oil for bits of metal that shouldnt be there.

klark, Feb 9, 11:02pm
Over time the scissor gear wears on the cams and a "tick" is heard after the cam passes over the lobe, they all do it, sounds just like a tappet. Nothing to worry about. If it annoys you too much you can remove the scissor gear, its held on by a circlip and just preloads the main gear to keep it all quiet but ends up wearing and making more noise ha!

elect70, Feb 10, 2:23am
shes gonna blow , run

kerrieann, Feb 10, 2:52am
a little birdie told me that the tl 1000 and the tlr 1000 have whats called an ignition retarder fitted ,apparently it retards the ignition under throttle opening to 15 degrees of retard to stop u wheel standing the beast .ok point is, if the retarder is worn one of the first signs is a ticking noise not unlike a tappet when its hot.also it can be removed for more wheel stands and less ticking.long shot but same symptom

fatdx, Feb 10, 6:14am
seems the intellegent offer exellent infomation and the the ignorant uneducated post snide remakes will be looking at cams etc

by_hdt, Feb 10, 7:02am
My father is somewhat of a TL expert, his has done over 130,000km, the hot ticking im told is normal and nothing to worry about, they all do it.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 7:04am

bjg, Feb 10, 6:52pm
I had a tlr 1000 and it always ticked away and had a clunk what you shut it down.