NZs best stretch of driving road

Page 1 / 5
jezz43, Feb 9, 9:55pm
what is your thoughts on the best road to drive in NZ in a car! taking into account scenery, road quality and driving pleasure.

tmenz, Feb 9, 10:04pm
The Forgotten Highway, SH43!

intrade, Feb 9, 10:06pm
you got to be kidding lol that is the worst friggen road lol.
I recon desert road would be if there where no cops and in the south island the road from east coast over to hamner springs . These roads are for people with ferraris people who get a kick out of driving past 250kph mark.
Best scenery roads are only in south island teanau to milford sound and up mount cook queenstown lakes is nice also to glenorchy . north island be Bay-of-island for nice views

tmenz, Feb 9, 10:07pm
No, seriously, give 43 a miss, I got stuck behind a big truck and couldn't get past for many, many kilometres.

I liked the Lindis/Burkes Passes trip between Christchurch and Queenstown and also the trip from Wanaka to Greymouth up the West Coast via Haast Pass.

richardmayes, Feb 9, 10:14pm
SH 73 Christchurch to West Coast via Arthur's Pass.

It has every kind of playground for a driver; fast twisty bits, slow twisty bits, plenty of overtaking opportunities, hardly any traffic.Generally good surface conditions. Massive alpine scenery. Good places to stop for a cuppa tea. Just a driver's heaven.

southernpride, Feb 9, 10:24pm
The road between Queenstown and Glenorchy!Only45 minutes; but probably the most gorgeous scenery I've seen (apart from Milford) and it has everything from the occassional straight, to the trickiest turns.In sections the trees growing on both sides of the road form a natural tunnel where you can wind down the windows and enjoy the sound from your car.Not great if you get carsick though lol.

jezz43, Feb 9, 10:27pm
ive driven SH 73 before, it was quite nice. forgotten highway. name says it all. it should be forgotten. havent done much else in south island.

theres a highway up near dargaville that heads out to "NZs biggest kauri". i enjoyed that road. felt sorry for my passengers tho

flybye_in_a_rx7, Feb 9, 10:31pm
yup good road to drive that. west coast to hanmer is good too, lots of twisties but lots of overtaking spots

morrisman1, Feb 10, 5:38am
Its a fantastic drive between Invercargill and Christchurch if you take the inland route. An extra 100km but well worth it. Obviously the interesting bit finishes once you join up with SH1 after Timaru

Invercargill - Frankton (qtown) - cromwell - omarama - twizel - tekapo - geraldine - then onto SH1 to get to chch.

ian86, Feb 10, 5:54am
For me., the road from Queenstown down to invercargill., the lindis pass., the lewis pass., are roads that spring to mind. That was on a bike though.one of the attractions was that., I pretty much had the road to myself. which for me coming from Auckland was just bliss.

goron56, Feb 10, 6:01am
The road from Alexandra to Palmerston south via Ranfurly at night,awesome fun,no cops no traffic just give it to her.

geedubu, Feb 10, 6:10am
The Kaikoura coast, crays on the way

gasngo2, Feb 10, 6:15am
south island,Wanaka to Haast,Cromwell to Milford sound,awesome roads and scenery.

mothergoose_nz, Feb 10, 6:25am
highway 38 around through the uruweras.still unsealed i understand

sandypheet, Feb 10, 7:04am
Sealed up to at least Minginui,was there last weekend,think there is only a short stretch of gravel left now.

richynuts, Feb 10, 7:12am
Road from Springs junction to Reefton, awesome on a motorbike

dante055, Feb 10, 7:13am
queenstown to invercargill

jezz43, Feb 10, 7:14am
im sensing a pattern here. lol.

all the best roads seem to be thru some pass in the south island, anyone with some north island ones!

desmodave, Feb 10, 7:33am
Rahu Saddle.In winter when theres snow ice and grit ya wonder why ya didnt chouse to drive the 4x4 ya had at home.

michael.benn, Feb 10, 7:45am
All of these seem to be in the South Island :(

What about North Island !

mazzyz, Feb 10, 7:56am
N.I. East Coast road from Maraetai around the coast down to Thames continuing up around the Coromandel Penninsula on hwy 25 carrying on down to Tauranga. Good in a car or on bike.
The Far Nth Rd(hwy 1) from Kaitaia onwards towards Cape Reinga is a nice piece of road too.

morrisman1, Feb 10, 8:07am
The milford sound road is beaut but pity about the traffic. Crown range (qtown to wanaka) would be fun in a sports car and has some fantastic views on the qtown side

bikeman2, Feb 10, 8:12am
long time lurker here. crown range road qt to wanaka, plus you have possum watching over through the cardrona valley. always give him a little glance as i drive through (6 times a week). and the glenorchy road is stunning, and plenty of places to pass if you get stuck behind rentals. best rod in north island.the off ramp at wellington to get on the ferry to the other side

richardmayes, Feb 10, 8:17am
Hahaha - harsh but true!

(Wellingtonian here.)

wotz_it_2_ya, Feb 10, 8:22am
Takaka hill