NZs best stretch of driving road

Page 2 / 5
trogedon, Feb 10, 8:26am
NI ??

neville48, Feb 10, 8:36am
Raumati Beach to Wellington, either way. Going south on a sunny day when you hit the bottom of the gorge and over the ramp and the harbour and the city open up in front.cannot be beaten. Going north on a sunny day and you come through Pukerua Bay over the hill ,round the last lefty and the coast opens up in front of you.Heaven.

zooki007, Feb 10, 8:47am
Rai Valley

twink19, Feb 10, 8:57am
Omarama

mapman, Feb 10, 8:32pm
South Island/ Westport right down through Haast Past, Christchurch to Queenstown via Tekapo and the Kaikoura Coast Rd.
North Island/ and the best road in NZ IMHO is the road between Taihape and Fern Hill(near Hastings) over the Gentle Annie, the Forgotten Highway, East Coast from Napier up to Whakatane (going around the coast Rd), Taupo to Turangi, Te Hana to Waipu Cove via Mangawhai and Kerikeri up to the top end via Mangonui.
Best place to test your driving skills would be the Paraparas between Raetihi and Wanganui.

poppajn, Feb 10, 8:40pm
For me, it,s Haast to Karema junction, over the Arthurs Pass to Sheffeild, then down thru the Rakiaia Gorge to Geraldine.

kazbanz, Feb 10, 8:40pm
Sorry Op --I have a favorite bit of road -part of its apeal is that not many other bikers use it and the 5 ohh don't patrol it

carstauranga001, Feb 10, 8:45pm
I've enjoyed lots of awesome motorcycling roads in both islands.

Far north, Kaitia to the top.
Coromandel loop
Around East Cape
Forgotten Highway
The Paraparas
Napier to Gisborne
Takaka Hill
Kaikora to Hanmer Springs
Aurthers Pass
Haast to Wanaka
Wanaka to Queenstown

Too many to have one favourite really.

jezz43, Feb 10, 8:47pm
the paraparas havent been fun to drive since they started butchering them to cater for the non-talented driver about 15-20 years ago

carstauranga001, Feb 10, 8:51pm
I've only been there in more recent times and still liked it, must've been fantastic back then! (Or I'm non talented, LOL)

mapman, Feb 10, 8:52pm
True!

cowcocky101, Feb 10, 8:53pm

nativewun, Feb 10, 8:56pm
Have they put barriers up!. Freaks me out down there, just a big drop if you get too close. I trust my driving, not other drivers in the other lane, hehe.

mapman, Feb 10, 8:57pm
It is fair to say the Line Hauling through the Paraparas 20 odd years ago in winter in the early hours never made you sleepy. ever! National Park and the central plateau had the same effect.

hawat, Feb 10, 9:03pm
Opotiki to Gissy through the Waioeka Gorge but either don't have passengers and thrash it (driving pleasure) or do have passengers and cruise it (scenic pleasure)

grangies, Feb 10, 9:05pm
Kaihohe to Dargaville via Hokianga Harbour and Waipoua Forest.

Be sure, to stop and view Tane Mahuta (Giant Kauri)

http://g.co/maps/g73h7 http://g.co/maps/mxq4k

jezz43, Feb 10, 9:13pm
i think dome valley could be a bit of fun if there werent any traffic or cops lurking about. would be a good place for a closed road sprint too

carstauranga001, Feb 10, 9:23pm
agree, traffic screws it.

desmodave, Feb 10, 9:38pm
The road to Karamea seems to be popular today with alot of bikes going past.Just waiting for the mother of my children to arrive and collect the kids then im off for a hoon through the bluffs.

mopeds, Feb 10, 9:54pm
The entire South Island is my pick, far more good roads than bad, only for lucky people who can still afford to drive cars for pleasure.

mileyfan73, Feb 10, 11:02pm
Old West Coast Road between Westport and Greymouth.100 kms of awesome scenery, long straights and lotsa twisty bits!Campervans are a menace though.

ntalke, Feb 10, 11:41pm
Rangiora and the inland scenic route through to Fairlie and through to Omarama then over the Lindis through to Wanaka

likit, Feb 11, 2:06am
SH.1 between Pukerua Bay & Paekakarikiki at 2 in the morning with no cars on the road,windows down listening to the V8 exhaust noise bouncing off the hill.

the-lada-dude, Feb 11, 2:41am
between my place and the local watering hole

gunhand, Feb 11, 8:37am
Between Alex and Cromwell.Short trip but man if you got the balls you can go very quick, about 105kph all the way, wink wink.
And also between Alex and Palmerston, Thats got everything to.