VW Golf wont DRIVE? in park or neutral

Page 2 / 2
mugenb20b, Feb 11, 9:36am
Smart move.

johnf_456, Feb 11, 9:41am
Agreed, better to put money into home ownership if you haven't done so

shelleigh, Feb 11, 9:44am
Thanks guys :)
johnf_456 I recently became mortgage free again - is a great feeling!

johnf_456, Feb 11, 9:46am
Congrats, good on ya!
Sadly I'm not.

shelleigh, Feb 11, 9:48am
Thanks johnf_456.
Is something to look forward to for you then. I'm sure if it's something you really want then you can achieve it :)

johnf_456, Feb 11, 9:50am
Slowly but getting there week by week to be debt free haha. I'm the same I just buy cars on the fact of getting me from a to b. Better than loosing 20k off a new car in a few years.

shelleigh, Feb 11, 9:54am
Sure is - my dad had a VC Valiant for 22 years :)
Have had my Corolla wagon for 12 so really looking forward to getting something newer :)

andrewph, Feb 11, 10:01am
My guess is the brake light switch. When you stomp on the brake it unlocks the solinoid that lets you select a gear (at the base of the lever)and obviously the brake lights. its a common fault.;o)

budgel, Feb 11, 8:01pm
andrewph, do you have to stomp on it twice!

budgel, Feb 11, 8:09pm
Hi ling is correct.

Brakelight switch needs replacing .

mugenb20b, Feb 11, 8:12pm
Nah, just a bad stutter.

kazbanz, Feb 11, 10:12pm
In all seriousness I agree with andrewph
Regardless of the year/make/modelit sounds more like a minor mechanical issue inside the cabin rather than a major gearbox issue.
Something has jambed the locking mechanism or come loose or a solenoid has failed. Clearly the picture of a foot is the tellltale
Given that the OP has had "endless trouble" with the car I'd be looking further down that path to see if its possible that a mechanic/sparkie has unplugged something and not plugged it in propperly.

usdefault, Feb 12, 12:13am
Pnp switch or relay!

richynuts, Feb 12, 12:24am
more like denial

lara3, Feb 14, 6:37am
hopefully all sorted faulty break switch vw recalled alot of vehicles because of this and fixed them. Back from 2007. It went to the vm people

kazbanz, Feb 14, 6:49am
so lara--what sort of issues have you had with this car! Just wondering if any were electrical that mighta spiked the switch