VW Golf wont DRIVE? in park or neutral

Page 1 / 2
lara3, Feb 11, 3:47am
Okay my car starts but wont let me put it out of park or neutral! The light seems to stay on (one with the foot pedal picture)

planespotterhvn, Feb 11, 3:50am
Press your foot on the brake pedal. Also park brake may be on, which brake symbol is it, park brake or brake fault!

lara3, Feb 11, 3:53am
i always press my food on the brake pedal and take the park break off. I think its a fault alright . This car i havent even had a year and its non stop issues. thanks for that. The symbol is a shoe which lights up next to either park or neutral when the car is first started. I usually put my foot on the break and the light turns off but not this time

bellky, Feb 11, 3:54am
jazzpianoman will be devastated

ryanm2, Feb 11, 3:54am
its a cheap fix, i recall our friends golf did the same thing and it was cheap and easy to fix.

lara3, Feb 11, 3:57am
thanks for that ryanm2

msigg, Feb 11, 3:57am
None stop issues don't sound like happy motoring, take it in to a good mechanic and get his opinion and take it from there. All the best.

ringo2, Feb 11, 4:15am
Trade it in on a Toyota and all your problems will be fixed.

kingfisher21, Feb 11, 4:20am
Check fuses for a blown brake light one.

mylee, Feb 11, 5:34am
brake light blowin

kazbanz, Feb 11, 5:36am
its not possible lara--it must be all your fault. VW golfs never give issues.

icemans1, Feb 11, 5:59am
press ya food!

berg, Feb 11, 6:01am
Cheap to run when they won't move too. Maybe that's how jaz gets his figures for fuel economy. Just a sly dig jaz

rovercitroen, Feb 11, 6:44am
Reminds me of what some people say about Jaguars. "At least you have got somewhere nice to sit while you are waiting for the tow truck!".
As far as Golfs go anyone that I know who has owned one has had plenty of problems including a friends partner who bought a new Golf a few years ago. It spent almost as much time in the first 3 years being fixed - many faults - as it did on the road.

mugenb20b, Feb 11, 7:56am
You mean in denial.

johnf_456, Feb 11, 7:57am
Yep we were told by one here thats impossible to happen.

shelleigh, Feb 11, 8:19am
I'm looking at updating my Corolla wagon for a Mk5 Golf wagon :)
Just out of curiousity, the Golfs that people have issues with - are they Jap imports! And have they got full service records!
I won't be touching one that has been in Asia and hasn't got full service records!

gammelvind, Feb 11, 8:21am
Funnily enough, I have only seen 2 cars stopped dead at the same set of traffic lights in the past few months. Huge snarl up behind them, embarrased drivers, both cars were VW's, different models. Sure of course it is coincidence, but then again is it!

trdbzr, Feb 11, 8:22am
tens of thousands of people buy ex asia imports without service history every year and most of them have trouble free motoring

thejazzpianoma, Feb 11, 8:29am
Perhaps we could start with which model Golf!
My money says MK3 or MK4.
When was the transmission last serviced!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 11, 8:29am
Perhaps we could start with which model Golf!
My money says MK3 or MK4.
When was the transmission last serviced!
How many km's on it now and is it used for town, country or mixed driving!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 11, 8:32am
If you buy one with low enough km's this is not necessarily an issue. (so long as km's are genuine).
We have had several ex Japan Golfs and they have all been trouble free. The DSG service is every 60'000km they tend to cope with that being exceeded by a bit so if you buy one with not more than say 100'000km and service it immediatly you should be in pretty good shape even if it has not had a transmission service before.

Ideally though if you can afford one with not much more than 60'000km on the clock then better still.

Not such a fan of ex singapore cars though. Japan I usually pick and choose which areas if I can.

Remember. all cars can break. All cars tend to break much less if serviced properly and treated well. MK5 Golfs are not generally more prone to breaking than other brands of cars of similar sophistication.

hi-ling, Feb 11, 8:55am
Brake Light switch.

moosie_21, Feb 11, 8:57am
"VW Golf"

"This car i havent even had a year and its non stop issues."

Does it get any better!

shelleigh, Feb 11, 9:26am
Jazz I could afford to buy a brand new one but am choosing to invest the money instead as depreciation on a brand new car is crazy.
It wouldn't matter what brand of vehicle I bought though, I would still want full service records :)