Ford explorer -- good or bad?

steers, Feb 11, 8:15am
Heard they have transmission issues-- anyone got an opinion!

desmodave, Feb 11, 8:19am
Do a message board search then if your still interested in 1 tell the people here what your looking at.

gammelvind, Feb 11, 8:22am
Rust

kazbanz, Feb 11, 8:28am
they aint called the ford exploder for no reason--Jes saying

jenny188, Feb 11, 8:31am
Big on volume but not the best Ford to ever come off the production line.

outbidyou2, Feb 11, 8:36am
seem very cheap, beware

stevo2, Feb 11, 8:40am
I bought one new back in 97. They suffer from timing chain tensioner failure (expensive) and mine got water in the transfer case after driving up a river. It locked it in 4WD. Suppossed to be able to drive in water 600mm deep but the river I drove up was only 400mm. Drain and replace the fluid and good as new again.
Not bad off road and not bad on road but not great at either, plenty of body roll. Great tow wagon for my jet boat though with plenty of power and a silky smooth 5 speed auto.
18mpg around town, 18 mpg on a trip towing the boat and 23mpg on a trip with no boat.
Cheers Stevo
Plenty of squeaks and rattles.

steers, Feb 11, 8:43am
Thanks team had a troll through old posts--- figure I will stay away from these.

mugenb20b, Feb 11, 9:05am
The newer shape have one particular part that fails in the automatic transmission. Costs around $5k to remedy. Apart from that, they also suffer from some electrical problems, and so far I've encountered ABS and SRS lights staying on, digital display in the speedo cluster failure, lights staying on on exterior rear view mirrors for no reason (meant to come on when you lock the car and go off within a few seconds).
The only good thing about them was the V8 power and torque and a 7 seat option.

unbeatabull, Feb 11, 9:06am
Trans problems, diff problems, timing chain issues, Sparkplugs breaking & threads pulling out of the head, rust, rear wheel bearings, ABS Issues the list goes on. I feel sorry everytime I go past one on the road, knowing at some point its going to break down and I will probably be the one who gets to fix it.

vjregal770, Feb 11, 9:12am
Don't know much about the 2nd gen models, but the 96-on ones were apparently sh!t

unbeatabull, Feb 11, 6:00pm
The Second Gen ones are a bit better as they got an IRS Diff now which is better then the solid beam, but other then that they still have many problems.