Ford explorer

niall, Feb 6, 10:00pm
I am looking at 1999 4.0l fuel use car jam recon 13.8/100 another site came up 16.5/100 which 1 would be correct cheers

trogedon, Feb 6, 10:03pm
Either way they're gas guzzlers and to be avoided.

hpaul, Feb 6, 10:16pm
Reckon on 15L/100 and a truly awful ownership experience.

That way you won't be too disappointed.

tazcsv, Feb 6, 10:42pm
Called exploders for a reason.

neo_psy, Feb 6, 10:48pm
if you have to ask, you don't want to know.

Not the car to buy if you're even slightly concerned with economy. My sister has a later one and they don't really monitor it because it's depressing.

franc123, Feb 7, 4:56am
These were made for the moderately wealthy with access to cheap petrol to buy new and discard after four or five years, when such vehicles were in fashion last century. You wouldn't even recommend one these days solely as a weekend boat tower because there are other vehicles in the market that will be far better and cheaper to operate, fuel is just one expense. 16L/100k urban is conservative, it'd be 17-20 for soccer mums running it cold 3km to and from school every day. They're all far too old now and weren't that good when new either.

unbeatabull, Feb 7, 5:00am
Don't buy. Worst financial decision you will make in your life.

I can list everything wrong with them if you wish.

chook90, Feb 7, 5:27am
There is nothing - read it again - NOTHING good about a '99 Explorer. If you must have a large, uneconomical, ill handling, underpowered barge with most if not all of its redeeming features rendered dysfunctional after 14 years then there are quite literally dozens of better options.
No matter how cheap, hell even if they are going to pay you to take it away this is not a good option.

stevo2, Feb 7, 5:36am
I bought one new when they were first released here in 97.
I got 16 lt/100km around town, 15 lt/100km touring with a jetboat on the back and 11 lt/100km touring with no boat.
Owned it for 5 years. I had no problems but I know others that did

gman35, Feb 7, 9:51am
From my freinds experience , an 18yo P-using , ADHD , tourettes affected boy would be more reliable.

niall, Feb 7, 1:22pm
many thanks to all i get the impression they are a heap of s_ _ _
will not be going there love the last post