Ford Explorer

tactical12, Dec 23, 2:55am
Hi team,
Is the Ford Explorer really as bad as everyone makes out? I really like the shape, size and power of this vehicle.

We are looking at a large family 4x4, also considering the Toyota Prado. Looking in the $15 - $25k range.

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

bjmh, Dec 23, 3:00am
Explorer is a great vehicle if you own a shock ,suspension bush factory

andy61, Dec 23, 3:06am
Yip ,they really are bad, later ones had major transmission issues.Early ones were bad for timing chain problems. there are better cars out there.

tactical12, Dec 23, 3:10am
Thanks Andy, any suggestions?

andy61, Dec 23, 4:26am
Is there any reason you want a large 4x4?, if you had more money ,I would say Toyota Landcruiser., esp if you want to do heavy towing.

franc123, Dec 23, 5:27am
One of the biggest differences with a Prado is that when you sell it again you will get a fair chunk of your money back, with Exploders you don't. They are built cheap in America to be bought brand new by a particular market and be dumped after a couple of years. In some ways the V8 versions are a likeable vehicle but how long you will stay liking it after you've bought it, well, good luck with that one.

tamarillo, Dec 23, 5:30am
Volvo XC90
The quintessential family SUV.

msigg, Dec 23, 5:35am
As above the Prado or landcruiser or Nissan patrol/safari are all great, they do cost for a low km one. What about a Sante Fe, not quite as big though.

2get1, Dec 23, 5:52am
called the exploder for a reason, theyre heaps of shit and gas guzzling pigs. if you don't want a prado etc and want something abit different looks wise and not hard out 4x4 but good room inside Dodge Nitro RT but don't get a petrol as theyre thirsty pigs to, the 2.8 common rail turbo diesel goes really well and has more torque than the 3.7 petrol.

tactical12, Dec 23, 6:22am
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will go for the Prado.

andy61, Dec 23, 8:21pm
If you go for a Prado Diesel, have it checked for the usual Prado /Surf fault- cracked head, very common ,if anything ,buy one thats had the head replaced. They all crack heads, just when ,not if.

mopsy3, Dec 23, 9:20pm
I'm sorry but you can't seriously call an Explorer a heap of shit and then suggest someone should buy a Dodge.

marmar1, Dec 23, 9:29pm
A guy at work bought an explorer 4 yrs ago and we were waiting for it to give him problems, but as yet nothing,has made me change my mind on them.( not that I would buy one,not my style )

brapbrap8, Dec 23, 9:40pm
I have a mechanic friend who has an Explorer and has had no issues with it, just really, really thirsty though.
The older Prados are not bad, the diesel is incredibly slow but has been reliable for us, ours is an 04 VX with all the modcons and gadgets. Approaching 300,000km now and everything still works perfectly, never had a single issue, but that is the Landcruiser build quality you expect.
Very safe wagons too.

For towing you would be better to go for a newer double cab ute, $25k gets you a decent D40 Navara STX which is more grunty than a Prado and they are good and reliable trucks as well.

2get1, May 7, 6:19pm
yeah I can, know a couple of people that had exploders, plus everything I read. know a guy with petrol nitro and other than thirsty, loves it with no issues. Know another guy with a diesel nitro, loves it ,cheap to run and goes well.

owned a diesel nitro myself for 3 years,great wagon

have you ever owned a Nitro ?