Failed wof. 1999 ford explorer i need lh lower ball joint replaced small exhaust leak fixed f sway bar bushes replaced and ws wa

spirithigh, Nov 29, 10:19pm
1999 ford explorer.

i need l/h lower ball joint replaced.
small exhaust leak fixed
f - sway bar bushes replaced, and
w/s washers (windshield washers! he said it wasn't a biggie)

$386 for parts and labour.does this sound right or should i shop around! invercargill area.seems my car is a POS - every warrant costs me hundreds.i'm so over it.

theram1, Nov 29, 10:23pm
OK i guess when you include labour, ring other garages and ask for a quote now you know what you need, and compare.

P.S. might be time for a change if it costs at every warrant

shaun16, Nov 29, 10:29pm
im no expert but that price sounds reasoniable for that work to be done. they do call those cars ford exploders though so maybe a good idea to get rid of it!

splinter67, Nov 29, 10:34pm
Thats a good price as for the pos thing you brought a ford what do you expect

fiatracer, Nov 29, 10:36pm
it's a pretty cheap WOF for a vehicle that old, and you got off lightly considering what it is

3tomany, Nov 29, 10:44pm
interesting youre definition of a pos although that model exploder is generaly a pos, but those things are all consumables that any car that age will need so i dont get why you are complaining it must cost you that much every time you fill it with fuel lol

intrade, Nov 29, 11:01pm
jack up the car so the wheel hangs and wont drop on your hand when you wriggle the tyre top and bottom to see if it actarly got play. or if its just faild for easy work as more and more places start doingthat to create more work for there shops. just replaced some bushes that should have passed a wof as only one had slight wear. client wont go back to them for any more work and shows them the old bushes they failed.

unbeatabull, Nov 30, 1:36am
Balljoints common on them, and are a prick to do. A Garage would quote 2 hours work to replace on one of them at least to cover as they can be pricky at the best of times.

You got off very lightly tbh! Wait till the diff, trans, engine, rear wheel bearings, other balljoints, electrics, etc all crap out on it . I laugh at people silly enough to own these cars! And I feel sorry for myself and all other Ford Techs who still have to work on them!

marte, Nov 30, 5:45am
A balljoint fix would also have to include a wheel allignment I think.
So include wheel alignment into the $386 as well.
And cross the wheel allignment off your maintenence programme too.
That'll make your tires last longer & use less petrol.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 6:20am
Nope. Lower ball joint does not affect wheel alignment.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 6:23am
Really! They take an hour at most.

franc123, Nov 30, 6:32am
You didn't buy one of those with the expectation of cheap motoring did you! They're made by and for Yanks and others with access to cheap petrol to look good in your driveway and with your boat on the back and to be sent to the crusher after about five years. As for the repair price its about right assuming the parts cost 100 or so.